What's your favourite movie?

You spelled “Director’s Cut” wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

4 Likes

There have been so many cuts of that movie, it’s hard to keep track.

6 Likes

I think there’s a big difference between massively successful movies that tons of people see and cherished films people watch again and again. I very much enjoyed Wonder Woman and other films you mentioned but they wouldn’t even scrape the top 50 of my favorite movies of all time.

7 Likes

And I mean, I listed my #1 Favorite movie, but if I were going to list my top 3, the other two are Blade Runner and Star Wars - which is the #2 movie of all time.

3 Likes

Thoughts are actually difference…My initial thought was that the popular and best selling movies will be average people’s favourite if survey is to be taken…but its fine…

It feels like you make a topic with a specific response in mind, and then you’re surprised when you don’t get it. Perhaps you should spend some time reading other threads to learn about the community.

9 Likes

Or is it:

or maybe:

or:

maybe even:

or:

…it depends when you ask, I don’t usually have singular favorites. Are we talking about the movie I have re-watched the most times? The one I remember most clearly? The movie I most relate to? Or consider the best at visual storytelling? The one with the most compelling themes? A work which does more than others to redefine the medium?

3 Likes

I understand what you mean; it’s interesting how many insanely successful movies aren’t really that “popular”. I guarantee you’ll find almost nobody who would list “Avatar” as their favorite movie, even though it’s still the most successful film ever made. And a lot of movies that bombed are on peoples’ all-time-favorites list.

That said, some of my favorites of all time are, like @manybellsdown, Star Wars and Blade Runner, as well as Close Encounters, Dark Crystal, and Princess Bride. Not that many from the past decade.

6 Likes

hmmmmmm…I feel this is an avenue to socialize and learn…People’s exposures are different, we all learn in every process

2 Likes

Thanks, I think you get my point

Sure, but you asked us to defend our choices when you say “but then how did all these other movies make millions? Why aren’t you talking about them?” That’s why I say it seems like you expected a specific response.

We’re odd people here. We like unusual things.

6 Likes

Popular != Good

I mean, I love the Fast and Furious films but I’d never say they are actually good.

6 Likes

There’s a reason MST3K was so popular, right? We can love things that are terrible.

10 Likes

3 Likes

Maybe I like Harrison Ford droning on and on… :smirk:
Ironically, the director’s cut was what I saw in the theatrer.

3 Likes

My very best friend of 30 years thinks it’s better with the voiceover. Somehow, we are still friends.

3 Likes

When I first saw it and fell in love with it, the original voiceover version was what I saw. I have to admit some nostalgia for the kinda-goofy noir narration, though I rather envy friends who only know it voiceover-free.

2 Likes

Maybe he felt more like talking then than he ever had. Or was it less? I don’t know. The one thing I did know was that his phonemes were landing in my ears, where they sloshed around like dirty water, like a bored drunk looking for fun in a muddy puddle.

2 Likes

Legend has it (mostly from comments he’s made over the years) that the studio forced them to add the commentary when they decided the movie was too confusing; Harrison Ford though the voiceover dialog was stupid, and his voice makes it clear how bored and tired of dealing with it he was.

5 Likes