When a Texas cop is accused of rape, it's called "sex without consent"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/24/when-a-texas-cop-is-accused-of-rape-its-called-sex-without-consent.html

1 Like

So, a recruitment strategy?

5 Likes

“Sex without consent.”

8dgan7

16 Likes

“That’s a very loaded word, your honor. My client would prefer to be described as a ‘sex without permission-ist’.”

2 Likes

This means Texas Governor Abbott, who said he would “eliminate all rapists from the streets” can carve another victory notch in his belt simply by eliminating the word rapist.

3 Likes

Wow strong themes here today.

1 Like

Rape isn’t defined under Texas Law.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-22-011/

It’s Sexual Assault, and is punished as a first or second degree felony,

However…

Ruiz pleaded guilty to willfully depriving the victim of her constitutional rights. Defense attorney Nicole DeBorde said Ruiz was “not found guilty of sexual assault,” she said. “He did not plead guilty to any sexual assault."

I wonder how he got caught. I read the linked article and it did not say. I’d be surprised if it was as simple as “she filed a complaint and it was duly investigated.” To be fair, I have no idea how many times some allegation like this is “duly investigated” versus “stonewalled.”

1 Like

At least they left the door wide open for the victim to sue for monetary damages in civil court. Plus, dude is going to jail. For the vast majority of rape victims, this is a lot more justice than is normally served.

7 Likes

Similar to how you hear a female teacher “entering into a sexual relationship with a minor”. That’s not a relationship, that’s rape.

1 Like

Looks like the Houston Chronicle fixed the headline.

Edit to add: it shouldn’t have been so bad in the first place but yay for outrage forcing an accurate headline

7 Likes

Moi8Rpr

1 Like

Strange wording, implying this is an occurance that happens more than a handful of times globally per year.

3 Likes

I guess I’m missing the point…it happens too often. Male teachers usually get “sexually assaulted” listed but for some reason they don’t use the same wording when it’s a woman. I’m assuming it’s for the “well, you can’t rape men” bit that gets tossed around a lot.

1 Like

But specifying “female” teachers, when it’s considerably more common for male teachers, and considerably less common than extremely rare events like being killed by an errant piece of Russian satelite, seems so specific as to be intentionally misogynistic.

2 Likes

OK, I get where you’re coming from. You misread my post/I wrote it incorrectly. What I was speaking to was how it gets called different things depending on the teacher’s sex. And I used “female teacher” because “woman teacher” doesn’t sound right.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that teacher on student sexual assault is rare by any metric. If you think that women are the extreme minority of instigating the assault, that’s sadly not true. Overwhelmingly men are the wrong party - 80/20 per this one article but a minute long search got me numbers of at least 10% and as much as 40%. That said, women are more often teachers so there is likely a data bias simply because of population size.

It is certainly not rare.

Edit - another interesting data point comes from a 6y old Reddit post that both has data and links to even more data on the topic. The part that somewhat hammers my original comment home deals with sentencing:

26 women received nothing but probation, only 1 man received only probation. 55 women received sentences under 2 years, while only 21 men did.

I do see that the post has a majority of women being the teachers so I am concerned that there may be bias in gathering.

2 Likes

I was prepared to learn something in reading your sources…right up until they turned out to be the New York Post and an old Reddit post by an anonymized user with no citations. Ugh.

3 Likes

It seems to be one of those things they put in the style guide for the corporate press. All reports of crimes by the police must be written in the past exonerative tense.

Actually ime male teachers usually get nothing. It’s so damned normal for a teacher to fuck a 16/17 year old it doesn’t make anyone blink and it’s only years later that some of the former students are like “ah I wonder if that kind of made fucked up situation for that chick” and then nothing continues to happen as a result of that.

No reprimand, no drama, no firing, just some rumors and then nothing.

But if you’re talking about how it is reported on in the media when something about it captivates the attention of uninvolved adults… yeah we hear about it when it’s a straight female teacher because some people find it hot and exciting. Pretty sad isn’t it? And every single time it is a female who gets raped some one has to bring up men who get raped too. Funny how that works. But it’s so predictable you could gamify it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.