When Jack Chick offered to help the FBI fight Commies

The Christian boy is hung!

2 Likes

My personal favorite is the one targeting christian rock music.

Young, naive christian music group gets a new manager:
first name Lou, last name Siffer.

6 Likes

Also used in Angel Heart. Slightly better spelling though: Lou Cyphre

2 Likes

Enough cash to fill a silo with and swim around in?

1 Like

I think that needs to be a comic strip or graphic novel or an alternate history film of some kind.

4 Likes

Whether or not there was a causal relationship (I don’t think there was) is kind of irrelevant, because a not insignificant subset of anti-communist activists believed that there was a strong connection between satanism and communism. Even though they weren’t the majority of the anti-communist movement, they had a material impact on anti-communist thought during the cold war. The overlap between the religious right and the political right came together during the cold war and is still with us today.

2 Likes

I think it needs to be an 80s buddy sitcom

3 Likes

The US linked atheism and communism during Mccarthyism, and there may be a kernel of truth there. Not much, but some sort of non-causal link. So then, because atheism and satanism (assuming religious Christian Satanism ever existed) were both opposed to Christianity, they got conflated. As you said, it was just panic, but to those panicking it was very real.

3 Likes

In an ensemble of dresses and shoes?

3 Likes

[quote=“Mindysan33, post:26, topic:96724”]Whether or not there was a causal relationship (I don’t think there was) is kind of irrelevant, because a not insignificant subset of anti-communist activists believed that there was a strong connection between satanism and communism.[/quote]Considering many also believed there was a connection between homosexuality and communism, that would not be surprising. But the causal relationship I was thinking of is that Jack Chick cannot really be considered the “father of the Satanic Panic”, since the Satanic Panic seemed to be running just fine without him.

2 Likes

Well, I think he started his comic in the mid-70s, and the height of the satanic panic was in the 80s. This overview history of the modern phenomenon charts it back to a book released in 1980:

There were likely a number of things that contributed to the panic, including the rise of the moral majority, and the populartization of a particular kind of christian thought through the chick tracts. He wasn’t solely responsible for it, but was an important part of the phenomenon, I’d wager.

3 Likes

I should mention this ironic tabletop RPG, currently on kickstarter (I have their earlier game):

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.