Jack Chick religious comics are the best-selling comics of all time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/11/jack-chick-religious-comics-ar.html

I have a decent sized collection of Chick Tracts, didn’t pay for a single one.

(At one point I tried to fool Jack Chick into sending me a free sampler of his comics by posing as a church, didn’t work, but it only cost me a stamp so it was worth a shot.)

16 Likes

I tricked Jack Chick into sending me some original art.

14 Likes

Nice! I’ve got a good sized collection, but most came from a guy who had dozens of copies of each that he’d sell at APE (Alternative Press Expo) for a quarter each. I’ve found a few in the wild, though!

6 Likes

Unsurprisingly, the East Texas college town I lived in during the height of the Satanic Panic years was awash in them. If Dark Dungeons had come out a bit earlier we probably would have built a D&D campaign around it.

13 Likes

I wonder if any Evangelicals have tried to ride the comic book movie trend by adapting Chick Tracts into a multibillion-dollar cinematic universe yet.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s why stating that they are the “best selling” comics of all time is a little dubious. These were bought in bulk by churches and evangelists (like my dad) and dropped in public restrooms, lobbies and, based on that image, car windows. It’s not like any kid ever chose a Chick tract over an issue of Spider-Man at the drug store.

Yours and @WeirdTracts’ stories make me jealous. I wish I’d thought of that.

14 Likes

I went to college with a guy who claimed that Jack Chick was his uncle (or maybe great uncle.) He said that every year for Christmas his family would get a huge box of Chick Tracks as a “Christmas present.”

10 Likes

I had a pretty healthy collection going for a while. There was a pair of churches next to the park we hung out in during high school. There was someone handing out free copies about once a week. The first time I moved to a new house they were the first thing in the trash.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Well… let’s see it?

I have gotten these things in the wild before, and read many more online. As comics, may of them are quite good. As evangelical propaganda, they are quite bad.

4 Likes

They have!

They adapted the D&D one into a film with their blessings. They played it straight, being a direct adaptation.

ETA:

9 Likes
  1. Pics or it didn’t happen.

2. I’m jealous.

6 Likes

I thought that perhaps one branch of Jack Chick’s organisation “bought” them from another branch, but on reflection that kind of sophisticated financial engineering came after the heyday of Chick tracts.

3 Likes

They might as well. All those anti-atheist and “heaven is for real” movies the Xtianists churn out would fit very well in the CCU.

3 Likes

I’m not allowed to provide a link but if you go to our museum’s Twitter feed, there is a thread from July 20 that provides the full details and pic. You are correct to be jealous because Jack Chick original art is rare outside of Chick Publications. Enjoy. @WE

10 Likes

See my reply to Generic_name below. It’s a Twitter thread from 7/20. Check out our museum’s twitter account for more. Cheers

5 Likes
8 Likes

Thanks and welcome to BBS!

9 Likes

Yaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

1 Like