When Mickey Mouse was sent to a Nazi concentration camp

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/02/mickey-au-camp-de-gurs.html

9 Likes

Interestingly similar theme

12 Likes

If it weren’t for the academic lingo in the title then I wouldn’t hesitate to read the article. But screw my hesitations… looking forward to reading it anyways.

Then again… woooooaaah. Even by my standards, that article was some pretty heavy duty critical theory exposition. Interesting, but a little bit over the top.

1 Like

Waiting for the inevitable Disney C&D letter…

11 Likes

you ain’t kidding. it would be absolutely impossible to publish this work of art.

6 Likes

It gives me hope for humanity that, even in the cold concrete of fascism, flowers of creativity can still bloom.

A small detail note, I love how aspiring immigrants always used skyscrapers as a shorthand for the promise of America. Sometimes in the mid-1970s that was lost, and it’s a shame.

7 Likes

On that note, I figured a reference to the following was appropriate. The opera performed at and forever associated with Theresiensradt Concentration camp.

3 Likes

I think this would fall under “fair use”. It is a legitimate historical artifact.

I doubt Disney wants the bad publicity a lawsuit would entail.

3 Likes

I wonder if the Latino kids in Americas concentration camps will be allowed to express their own plight. Will they be allowed to read about the history of the nazi camps. Will America be portrayed as one of the liberators of the oppressed people in hitler’s time? I long for those kids to have a chance to raise their own spirits, a chance to develop hope for their own future. I wish I could believe in God damn you trump but it’s hard to believe in a god when swine like trump freely rise up and destroy the innocents.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Possibly the saddest words I’ll read all week.

7 Likes

My single strongest memory of the Israeli Holocaust museum, Yad Vashem, is of a number of pages of very sweet children’s book illustrations done inside one of the death camps. These leave me feeling the same way.

4 Likes

My strongest memory was of all the granite blocks that were used in systematic torture: Making inmates carry them up and down a hill, all day.

It reminds me of Roberto Begnini in Life is Beautiful always carrying an anvil when you see him in the camp.

3 Likes

Also, if you read the text, it even gives credit to Walt Disney as Mickey’s father …

1 Like

00b8a2368d41f413ce9f28196ba24c7c--funny-animals-funny-cats

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.