When teen defies anti-vax parents and gets shots, his mom says it's a "slap in the face"

mom says it’s a “slap in the face”

I see the message came across loud and clear.

2 Likes

I have some expertise in the area :slight_smile:

For ROI purposes a verbal no show/no report is usually sufficient, but I would recommend getting with the health information management dept. to be sure (especially if it is a large integrated organization). They can prevent ROIs that bypass the clinic setting and go straight to HIM. I recently retired from fostering teenagers and have helped a couple of kids sign those forms myself.

At the insurance company, they will have a mechanism to allow an adult youth (18-26) to place a flag on their record (at Blue Cross I think we called this the “Confidential HIPAA Address” IIRC) to which EOBs, letters, etc will be sent for that member. That also triggers call center staff not to discuss PHI with the policyholder, only the dependent. When I worked there it wasn’t common, but was something we always had to account for in process design. I can only speak to OR, WA, ID, and UT. States Offer Privacy Protection For Young Adults On Parents' Health Plan : Shots - Health News : NPR

(eta: my knowledge is of the U.S. healthcare system)

9 Likes

Everyone says that, but when I was 16 I felt like I already knew plenty and already made great decisions. I’m 41 now and it turns out I was right back then. Teens deserve a lot more credit than they get.

2 Likes

At least they raised a smart kid who can challenge his parents stupid decision, good for him.

2 Likes

Absolutely, in the case of our kid (we adopted our final foster child) we only need to support them in certain areas - mostly around personal safety, and a little bit of reminding around time management. I’m very proud of their commitment to academic performance and developing their talent.

7 Likes

It’s called public health spending. All 3 examples have direct impacts on other members of the public and should be available to prevent the spread of disease and broad social effects of drug addiction.

1 Like

Huh… I wonder if mandatory reporters can get leverage on that score.

2 Likes

Smart kid. Too bad you’re unhappy, Mom, but you jeopardized his life. I hope each of his younger siblings does the same thing. Where did this idiocy begin?

4 Likes

Yes, i am aware of the 18-26 confidentiality, but is there a way for a minor to secure protected catagories of info from being released in an EOB? If so, i need to work on implementing something here (i am located in VA) to get that available to my patients. We have been operating on what our insurance billers have told us, which is basically “no such animal.”

5 Likes

Vaccines cause adults

10 Likes

Agreed on all fronts. At present, though, i can only work with what is, not what should be. 2020 cannot get here soon enough.

8 Likes

Trusted Network Interpretation Environments Guideline

3 Likes

She deserves a slap in the face. I’m betting they take the family dog for vaccinations.

2 Likes

Only in certain states. At the Federal/HIPAA level, restriction of the EOB by the payer is only voluntary. If VA doesn’t have a state law it would unfortunately be a case by case basis with each individual payer.

3 Likes

Wake up, you ignorant twit! egrobinson

GODDAMNIT!!! This exists? An underground f-ing vaccine railroad? (yes, I’m going there, deal.)

I’m sure that this is all kinds of illegal for the adults involved, but I’m really happy that there are people willing to risk legal action to ensure individual and herd immunity.

7 Likes

“including hepatitis A, hepatitis B, influenza and HPV,”

That’s a little over the top, unless he plans on going on vacation in developing countries where food may be contaminated with HAV, unless he gets a job where he risks getting exposed to human blood and organ tissue (might as well include an HCV jab then) and whether he wants to avoid cervical carcinoma (for non-Roman citizens: he’d have to grow a womb first).

Bad job the doctors did there. SMH.

1 Like

Maybe he doesn’t want to TRANSMIT HPV to anyone who has a cervix?

Thought of that?

16 Likes

Well clearly phart wants you to donate 100% of your income (past the merest sustenance, and some sort of refrigerator box to live inside, preferably in the parking lot at your office so you don’t have to waste money on transport) to helping these kids. After all that is where phart’s money goes. Anything else after that sort of diatribe would be unthinkable!

1 Like

That’s what your gut tells you, but real hard science tells that limiting HPV vaccination to 12 year-old girls as part of a nation-wide vaccination program is the most cost-effective, ‘thought of that’-wise. Ergo, it’s literally over the top on the cost-effectiveness curve.

I take it back. I hadn’t been up to date with last year’s findings. Vaccinating boys does reduce cancer risk among girls with another 20%. Yet, I disagree with the 9-valent vaccine. That’s still over the top.

1 Like