When this octopus sees a threat it doesn't put up a fight – it just disappears

Originally published at: When this octopus sees a threat it doesn't put up a fight – it just disappears | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Go Go Go Do Not Want GIF

Nope, nope nope, updated for the quarantine era.

14 Likes

Same.

5 Likes

If you haven’t read it the book Other Minds: The Octopus And The Evolution Of Intelligent Life, by Peter Godfrey-Smith it is wonderful.

8 Likes

I thought it would just change color to blend in with the background, but that worked too.

7 Likes

Was it the stingray or the videographer with the bright light that the octopus was trying to get away from?

14 Likes

I was expecting the octopus to point off to the right, and then quickly exit stage left.

8 Likes

13 Likes

CoolHairyDarklingbeetle-size_restricted

7 Likes

That’s the lesser known ostrichpus, I suspect.

5 Likes

Instagram video, huh. Guess I won’t be viewing that one ever since they started requiring a login to view any content whatsoever.

(Not to get us too off topic – but this is a video I’d watch. Still not enough of an incentive to make an Instagram account.)

4 Likes

I do not have an Instagram account yet I am able to view this video in the post (which I assume is the one you are talking about) even with Brave Browser and shields fully up. No attempt to make me open an account. Clearly, our mileage varies, somewhat weirdly.

3 Likes

Huh, it worked. I admit that I didn’t even bother trying this time, because for the last X months, every time I mashed that “play” button on an embed it just shunted me over to the insta login. (Which makes me wonder what the value of the embed is in the first place…)

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out!

2 Likes

:man_shrugging:
I wonder if it makes any difference which part of the embed you click on?

I still can’t get Tiktok embeds to play on BB without Brave Shields being down.

1 Like

I get the login page and can’t watch the video - using firefox with most stuff blocked, all cookies especially.

1 Like

3 Likes

OK, I’ll just hide from the Japanese chef in this coconut ‘bowl’, that’ll work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.