When you die, this sofa converts into your coffin

Originally published at: When you die, this sofa converts into your coffin | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I expected an Adams family prop, not a sandal-wood Ikea divan. The green cushions implying the grass at your gravesite are a nice touch.

1 Like

round these here parts we expect our computer chairs to transform into body compost bins (bag o cheetos notwithstanding)

(link is to a Seattle body composing service)

1 Like

“So what if it’s as big as a Subaru and costs as much. You’ll never have to trade this in. This is going to be with you for the rest of your life. And when you die, they can bury you in it!”

2 Likes

So WWJD? Does it fold back?

1 Like

My futon is bad enough, but this looks even more uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Get a rental?

3 Likes

Agreed. I personally prefer things that are built well to serve one particular function over things that try to be many different things, since they’re usually adequate at best for any one of their individual functions. Those doesn’t look like it would be great at a sofa, bed, or coffin (not that I’d care that much about the last one when it came time to use it).

2 Likes

If they encase you in lucite; you can be repurposed as a coffee table.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t it just add insult to injury to leave someone without a spouse AND a sofa.

3 Likes
5 Likes

So you can be buried with the channel changer, and spare change for the ferryman.

2 Likes

Or keep the receipt?

1 Like

If i die on this sofa (or bed) it probably would be soild so much, it will drive the funeral party away so fast because of the stink. But nice conceptual idea.

1 Like

This seems very pragmatic, but I already have plans to be chopped up by lab techs and med students so no coffin needed.

I guess that’ll leave someone with a free sofa too

1 Like

Thank you. I was hoping someone beat me to it.
Thank heaven for Habitat’s sofa coffins!

2 Likes

If you use that thing as furniture, it’s not going to last you long enough to serve as a casket. I mean, just from a practical point of view.

And if it does not actually break, it will look like a beat up piece of ikea crap. But then some people are buried in a cardboard box, so… sure?

1 Like

Fun fact: most coffins these days are flat-pack boxes that are assembled in the undertaker’s back room.

1 Like

I was going to post the same thing. On top of that I got a good giggle when I realized you posted from my youtube channel. LOL.

Also, Do you dig graves?

4 Likes

Oh yes. I think they’re wonderful.

3 Likes