When your beach day turns into a live-action "Tremors" sequel

Originally published at: Giant cuttlefish emerges from sand - Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’ve ignored this on YouTube for weeks. Can we please stop referring to dying animals trapped out of their natural environments as “terrifying monsters?” Show some fucking compassion.

22 Likes

Well, maybe not that one, this one on the other hand…

16 Likes

Contributed by Popkin.

7 Likes

To be fair, I don’t think any of us would look particularly cute or cuddly after being buried, dead, in sand for a while.

The babies are super-cute. (The younger the get, the more they’re just little heads with big eyes.) But even the adults are pretty cuddly:

15 Likes

Say what? Most cuttlefish are shallow-water animals that live in tropical and temperate regions and are a common sight among scuba divers. Fun to watch, too—especially if you catch two or more having a colorful “conversation” with their chromatophores.

I know someone is trying to tie them to cthulu here but these aren’t exactly the kinds of creatures you’d normally find in the Mariana Trench.

13 Likes

Yeah… this whole post is rather… lacking.

10 Likes

Not to be confused with The Cuttlefish of Cthulhu.

You may or may not want to Google that. IYKYK

11 Likes

I concur. :+1:

7 Likes

Their chromatophores are very impressive, comparable to octopus:

I’ve not been able to find the video again, but I saw one showing a male cuttlefish with his display split lengthwise: mating patterns showing to a female, and aggression patterns showing to an approaching male

6 Likes

Quick! Where’s the Wrong Rec Room?

2 Likes

If you ever find it again, please post to the unicorn thread!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.