This weird, black sea monster with razor-sharp teeth mysteriously washed up on a California beach

Originally published at: This weird, black sea monster with razor-sharp teeth mysteriously washed up on a California beach | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Ewww, but free sushi!

4 Likes

Great. Gordon Freeman has taken up fishing now.

6 Likes

It’s not that mysterious that it washed up, its more apt to say that it’s unusual.

7 Likes

Obligs, a classic:

20 Likes

Images by who?

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 16.06.32

Ben Testes would be more appropriate in this case! (Snigger. Sorry, Ben.)

2 Likes

Goth fish has now transcended its existential crisis…

5 Likes

Someone with better photoshop skills than I have needs to add a person next to beach picture making it look whale sized. My initial thought was that thing was gigantic.

6 Likes

That is one wild looking fish

2 Likes

…while we can.

5 Likes
6 Likes

After reading a picture book, my kid asked why some fish are ugly.
Wonder if I should use this picture as a teaching moment, or if I should wait until she’s reading chapter books.

3 Likes

Locals and visitors often don’t realize that the continental shelf is very close (relatively) to the California shoreline in this area. Between the Orange County beach where this fish was discovered and Catalina Island, the water is 3000ft deep. Just south of San Clemente Island the water is already at 6k ft deep, and is where these angler fish live.

10 Likes

That reminded me of this great visualization of just how deep the ocean gets, and what can be found down there: The Deep Sea

2 Likes

Here’s why US consumers rarely — if ever — see a whole Chilean Sea Bass (sounds yummy, and it is), otherwise known by marine biologists as the Patagonian Toothfish (not so yummy sounding).

2 Likes

They should re-name it the GigerFish.

4 Likes

Seems a little deflated. Where was Tom Brady when this fish was murdered, I wonder?

3 Likes

4 Likes

That was amazing!

Also, I knew emperor penguins dived deep, but holy fuck! Same for elephant seals and cuvier’s beaked whales!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.