Where are the stolen girls of Nigeria? And why don't we care more?

What did your comment do for the girls that mine failed to?

There is a whitehouse.gov petition to get the US more involved:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/work-un-and-nigerian-government-bring-home-girls-kidnapped-boko-haram/fFcLj7s2

There’s also a change.org petition. Like either that or the White House one will help. (What gets me is the people pushing the change.org petition as if that’s actually going to do something. Yeah, sure. You have a hard enough time getting anyone in the USA to care that umpteen thousand relatively well-off people could be motivated to take ten seconds out of their day to click a link. Think a third-world government is going to give a pile of excrement?)

About all you can realistically do that might help is write or phone your congressman to let them know how you feel about this. And then maybe Congress can pass a strongly-worded resolution calling upon the Nigerian government to do something. Which the Nigerian government can then also ignore, but then at least they’ll be ignoring someone important.

Perhaps one of the most disappointing things about the Internet era is that it sometimes gives us the illusion that we’re all connected somehow, and that we can change anything in the world if we just care enough about it. It’s a nice sentiment, but all too often it runs up against the sad, sad truth that sometimes there just isn’t anything you can do.

BBC World News 24 is providing coverage. We’re traveling in SE Asia at present and it’s news here too.

2 Likes

What exactly do you want to be done? Sending the US military will usually get more people killed than saved. Putting up sanctions will hurt the population for years before some militia supported a junta of a failed splinter even starts to feel it. Ask the UN to do something? Look who is the UN these days. So, what to do? I honestly don’t see any options. But I guess it is because I am a racist white male who just doesn’t care. Edit: one should at least go after the financiers, some of which seem to be international “charitable” organizations. Of course, that will not have short-term effects. Also, when there is a movement of people who want to give money to that militant scum, they will always find a way. Shit I’m still white, racist, and clueless.

Apparently the group came with multiple trucks and motorcycles.

If you say so.

2 Likes

Question here, if anyone knows - what is it the blue helmeted UN forces actually do? Anywhere in the world things get really rough, they seem to be on the scene - but although they look military as hell, they never seem to be fighting. What’s up with that?

I at least flick through 2-3 Australian news papers each work day, and read quite a bit of news on websites as well. Whilst I certainly concentrate on Australian politics, I do try to read other stories to.

This is the first I’ve heard about this horrible situation.

They aren’t really supposed to fight and they certainly aren’t “anywhere in the world where things get rough”, since they need to be invited by a legitimate government.

They look military because they are military because the military has the means and structure to do these monitor-and-advise missions, but they aren’t really a expedition force doing mission. At beast they can try to protect civilians.

2 Likes

Well, I’m trying to care about this, but an 80-year old NBA owner just made racially insensitive remarks in private. #priorities

You listed some there, but only to knock them down yourself, and then you dismiss your own opinions and standing, fallaciously and preemptively… I’m just not sure what your point is. Is this some sort of hipster triple-lindy?

I’m pretty sure that this didn’t make the news in Nigeria, so it all equals out.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out reasons why nobody just “does something”, because the OP’s idea that “we don’t care” is obviously not much of an answer.

I tried to be kind of ironic. Won’t anybody think of the children? Why don’t we care about Africa? This is all very touching, but hardly to the point.

Thankfully, I have no idea what that means.

The UN… Peacekeepers?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.