While Kari Lake moans about slow vote counting, Katie Hobbs slowly inches ahead

Maybe when you disenfranchise so many voters, there just aren’t all that many votes to count.

7 Likes

Possibly if Kari Lake actually wins. But she made it very clear a long time ago that the only outcome she would accept is a win. Everything else she’ll declare as fraudulent and use every possible trick her lawyers can think of to stretch it out.

3 Likes

Because Oregon is 100% mail-in ballots, they don’t have the possibility of getting hundreds of thousands of ballots dumped on them on “Election Day”. They verify as things arrive in the mail, and have everything ready to count.

4 Likes

Really? No in-person voting there at all? I wonder what the reasoning for that was.

4 Likes

I didn’t know that either. TIL.

According to Teh Wiki article, the reasoning is a combination of increasing voter participation, convenience, and cost savings. The loudest opponents in the state are a Republican Xtianist politician and an anti-tax Libertarian, which alone would be reason enough for me to support it.

I love vote-by-mail/vote-by-dropbox in California. I’ve never understood the position held by some older people (liberals as well as conservatives) that doing one’s civic duty should inherently be inconvenient and time-consuming.

7 Likes

This doesn’t look like complacency to me:

2 Likes

She can NOT accept whatever. Doesn’t mean they’re gonna let her run the state, even if she tries to drag things out in the court and then screams about it on TV for a while.

The more we marginalize these creeps, the better off for Democracy.

6 Likes

Broken Clock Syndrome?

Even boring candidates can rouse themselves for a display of passion once in awhile.

4 Likes

It’s a different kind of complacency. Ryan was fine on these short, passionate outbursts about how awful MAGAts are, but then thought he could just coast on the applause while he retreated to his uninspiring Dem establishment platform planks (if he identified himself as a Dem at all – he often didn’t) that did nothing to bring in young voters.

Vance should have been easy to beat, since he’s always been openly contemptuous of his own rural and blue-collar white voting base. The drumbeat message from Ryan should have constantly emphasised that Vance is no populist, just someone who was lucky and ruthless enough to claw his way up from a milieu of poverty and squalor and opioid addiction into the coastal elite and who now victim-blames those still in the circumstances he left behind. But Ryan didn’t do that, and now here we are with the opponent he humiliated in a debate joining Hawley and Cotton in the Senate’s fascist caucus.

4 Likes

Just another form of voter suppression. Same reason America votes on Tuesdays when huge segments of lower income people won’t be able to get away from work, find someone to watch the kids, etc. Canada votes on Saturdays to make it as easy as possible for people.

10 Likes

For all that they talk about what a show of civic character it is to vote in person, most of them react with horror at the thought of making election day a federal holiday.

As you say, it’s mainly about their preserving a situation where only privileged white people like themselves are making the decisions. It comes from the same place as those who wax rhapsodic and then bend themselves into pretzels defending the broken fixed presidential primary system: it’s really about making sure that lilly-white states like NH and Iowa (with its terrible in-person caucus, which these types also defend) have the first say and set the tone. Same goes for those who support the Electoral College in its current state or FPTP voting.

Dems like Hobbs and Ryan have no interest in changing any of those things.

3 Likes

Tradition that reinforces their nostalgia for the past, IMO.

You can vote in person, but it’s usually with a provisional ballot and is just filling out a mail-in ballot and putting it a dropbox. This is for folks who are registered but for some reason didn’t receive their ballot, which is mailed out approximately three weeks before the election.

So if your mailing address changes just before the ballot arrives or if you don’t have a mailing address, or if it just gets lost in the mail, this is how you still get to vote. Voter registration deadlines are about a week before the ballots go out. If there’s an issue with your registration and you get it settled before the election, then that would also be a reason for voting inperson, but not necessarily.

5 Likes

I have to agree with you Tsu_Dho_Nimh if she thinks it’s slow now just wait until she gets her wish and hand counting becomes the norm.

Lake should definitely always dress in teal and aquamarine.
And give up reading and writing.

1 Like

Australia too. Polling stations are typically schools, and there’s almost always a barbecue (“Enjoy your democracy sausage!”), and a cake stall if you’re lucky.

3 Likes

I have heard tales of the legendary Aussie democracy sausage and I am jealous.

3 Likes

If at first you don’t succeed, try again even though your own constituents say you’re an idiot and the mandated hand count was exactly the same as the machine count. One of the dumber lawsuits I’ve seen.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.