While My Guitar Gently Weeps performed with extra guitar neck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/22/805270.html

6 Likes

So many different sounds from one instrument!

Very well done!

1 Like

Yes. If you play slide you’ll notice it is reversed, the slide is always in the left hand, with the pickup/soundhole(s) on the right side. (For right handed guitarists, obviously the entire endeavor would be similarly reversed for lefties.)

Genius idea.

2 Likes

OK, this is suitably impressive, but can someone explain me how he pulled off those false harmonics after the first bridge?

1 Like

OK, now I’m wrapping my mind around what sort of tuning allows you to have all those notes available as natural harmonics. (Disclaimer: I am a terrible musician.)

2 Likes

Those were just. . . harmonics. Watch his hands.

Or maybe I’m not sure which harmonics you’re talking about. It sounds like he does “pinch harmonics” on the slide neck, which I find impressive. There are ways to do one finger harmonics, and so you can fret a string wherever you want and get the harmonic with the other hand alone. (Yeah, I can’t do that too well myself.)

2 Likes

I was assuming – based on the breadth of melodic-ness in the harmonics he played – that he was doing artificial harmonics instead of open-string harmonics, but I couldn’t figure out how he was fretting, muting the node, and plucking with what I was seeing. As you and @Vert point out, they appear to just be natural harmonics – you can see him muting with his fret hand and plucking with his playing hand. And now I’m bending my mind around what sort of tuning gets you all those notes as natural harmonics.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.