Trombonist plays 'Flight of the Bumblebee" on a watering can

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/04/trombonist-plays-flight-of-t.html

10 Likes

He is the very definition of Happy Mutant.

Good!

22 Likes

As a one time trombonist, let me tell you that that is an utterly amazing display of technical super-proficiency. Damn

20 Likes

Wow; makes my lips numb, just listening o.o’ …

5 Likes

Yep. People are gettin’ bored. Watch me slip 'n slide down my roof, three stories down.

As wonderful as that may be, not following a link to facebook…

1 Like

Very funny indeed! And strongly reminiscent of the concerts that were initiated by cartoonist Gerard Hoffnung. One of these included a Leopold Mozart horn concerto, adapted for garden hose. https://youtu.be/zjYEwGlJ2UM

3 Likes

It was wonderful, but yes, I used a Facebook pane, in privacy mode, then cleared recent traffic :wink:

2 Likes

Good tonguing.

1 Like

Another challenge for the Green Hornet!

1 Like

Very charming. I needed that reason to smile. Thanks.

1 Like

I think he deserves first chair.

1 Like

Can you help me understand how this works? From my minimal knowledge of brass instruments, I thought that, absent any kind of valves or a slide, you were limited to a set of harmonic pitches. Hence why bugle tunes only include the 1st, 3rd and 5th. How is he accessing such a variety of notes with only his embouchure at his disposal?

With a bumble-bee shirt to boot.

Oh boy is this hard to explain. A simple and wrong explanation is that a brass instrument with no valves or slides has five harmonic notes, technically the “bugle scale.” However, as you go up octaves, this multiplies. And there are cheats, of varying degrees of difficulty, ranging from difficult to insanely difficult. This guy is doing a lot of insanely difficult stuff at a high pitch.

2 Likes

I was delighted, but not entirely surprised, to find that the person displaying impressive technical skill by playing a watering can is one of my countrymen. This is the part of my culture that I love.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.