Watch this startlingly fast bass performance of "Flight of the Bumblebee"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/29/watch-this-startlingly-fast-ba.html

8 Likes

Rock%20and%20Roll%20-%20Marty%2C%20Back%20to%20the%20Future

5 Likes

7 Likes

Please see also “Sting of the Bumblebee” from Manowar’s 1988 album Kings of Metal:

11 Likes

Aww, saw headline, thought it was going to be bass flute.

3 Likes

Ha! Came to post this. Can’t believe I’m not the only person in the world that remembers this.

5 Likes

A friend played it once for me in high school, probably 1989, and I’ve remembered it ever since. Hadn’t heard it again until I looked it up to share here.

I got kind of distracted trying to count how many cameras he must have set up. He’s got, what, like 6 different camera angles? And some of those angles seem like they should be seeing the other cameras?

2 Likes

Hmm…I get this message:

1 Like

I got the same message but when I reloaded the page and clicked again the video played normally.

1 Like

A little cross-cultural weirdness for you:

6 Likes
2 Likes

Not faster than the famous Al Hirt version, but pretty impressive for an acoustic bass guitar.

I have to confess, I was hoping to see this on a double bass.

Ah, thanks. It works for me now, too.

My hands feel arthritic just watching it :open_mouth:

It’s impressive and a fun watch. But on the bass it’s more of a cool stunt than something that stands up musically on it’s own.

YT is having issues

Funny, I got the opposite feeling watching these two, back-to-back. To my ear, the accordian’s action was muddying the attack of all those notes and its chords were stepping on the melody. The bass’s note attack imitated the vibrating bees’ wings and you could almost hear the air resistance --like a large bee’s. It didn’t need the chords to say what was needed, imo.

edit: to reiterate personal opinion.

2 Likes

Well, there’s this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLvC1046t7w

5 Likes

That is lovely.

2 Likes

Ha! should’ve been written for bass all along!

1 Like

Assuming everyone else caught the mistake at 0:41?

jk, it was amazing. As were the others in this thread!