Watch this startlingly fast bass performance of "Flight of the Bumblebee"

Thank you, that was great, whatever the level of technical editing that was involved.

Ahem

The worlds record, on a tuba.

1 Like

That was not nearly as impressive as the bass, thought the shtick was entertaining.

This should definitely help the bass players of the world increase their sex appeal.

Meh, people should listen to more music and watch more performances. This is mediocre and not an example good playing nor of much skill. Go to any jazz concert and you’ll hear (and see) much more impressive bass playing.

1 Like

A truly wonderful thing. Thanks.

I was going to say I heard it on a tuba once, but couldn’t for the life of me remember where. I was brought to a Canadian Brass show when I was a kid.

Neato, but wouldn’t having frets and a big open fingerboard make this easier than on a violin? Sure your fingers don’t have to go as far, but intonation is built in. Sometimes it gets super-easy when he just slides his fretting finger up the highest string

But still, not something I can do, so I cast no stones…

Really? Huh. Agree to disagree, I reckon. The bass player’s tempo was inconsistent, for one. It’s clearer, sure, but that’s a fretted instrument. Plus, the tuba is just a much more difficult instrument to master, so I find the accomplishment that much more impressive.

I guess we all have different criteria. It was muddy, and he only actually played about half the “40 second” performance. I do know the instrument is difficult, my daughter plays Euphonium, and I was excited to send her the performance link till I saw it. I actually enjoyed the bass performance, rather than just witnessing a stunt.

1 Like

Sure, a little stunty, but the performance is still amazing. In the classical world, CBQ can go full PDQ Bach, but even then the musicianship is baller. I’m likely biased, too, as a brass player.

I actually think there are other iterations of their Bumblebee that rock harder. The one recorded on The Village Band is probably the best. That whole album is super-fun; your daughter would probably love it.

This is from the same live performance, and also on the album I referenced:

1 Like

Not sure what to make of the opening headline of the video “Only 1% can play this”. Even without the “this song on bass” qualifier in the link I suspect that stat is too high.

futurama-bender-neat

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.