Whiskey ad sends message of love and celebration

Originally published at: Whiskey ad sends message of love and celebration | Boing Boing

14 Likes
22 Likes

WOW, that was an incredibly powerful advert that I didn’t know I needed to see till you posted it. ^_____^

24 Likes

Did someone spill a jar of face powder in here?

15 Likes

Beautiful. So very much beautiful and thank you for finding and sharing this one. Did not expect a whiskey commercial to make me cry today.

16 Likes

Nah, just cutting up the Christmas onions.

15 Likes

Good grief. From revulsion in the Dershowitz post to streaming tears in this one. Thanks for the whiplash.

Direct link:

17 Likes

i’m not peeling christmas onions, you’re peeling christmas onions. what a lovely film.

15 Likes

I saw this the other day. It’s a pretty bold and powerful short film/ad.

11 Likes

I watched the video before reading the entire post, I had a hard time figuring out what the story was, than I read the part above and the light bulb came on. What a great grandpa.

I only wish all families were as accepting as the one in the ad.

11 Likes

well, i’m a mess now. wow.

12 Likes

My nesting partner and I watched this one the other day. The ad is simply beautiful (did I really just say that?), but I have to say I think there may have been a problem with the cameras as everything got really blurry towards the end.

I’d like to offer another layer, albeit one tinged with a degree of sadness. It’s still quite possible that grandfather did have a trans identity, but grew up in a time and place where this was completely unacceptable. Viewed this way, he’s embracing not only his granddaughter, but her opportunity to be who she truly is instead of closing herself off her entire life.

I feel a bit of this myself when I talk with younger trans people that not only knew who they were at a young age, but actually got to be themselves. I’m not upset that they get to do that at a much earlier age than I did, but I still feel that lose for myself of the decades where I didn’t know, nor could have really started transitioning if I had known. I’m overjoyed to help them and celebrate their journeys that I didn’t even know was an option.

27 Likes

Oh, DAMN! That’s how you do it, this humanity thing.

11 Likes

I’m not crying, I’ve just some mascara in my eye.

What a great advert.

10 Likes

Well, I am crying. That’s just a lovely advert.

9 Likes

All our loves and hugs for the many years you lost, and for the finding you’ve done since.

I had the same view as you. I wondered if they had a secret trans identity and, though they felt they might be too old now to find their way through that world, helping their granddaughter gave them a small sense of peace they’d been missing.

Any way it’s interpreted, it’s a beautiful piece of writing and film.

14 Likes

this is exactly the the sense i took away from the ad, too. it just makes the ad all that more poignant to me.

12 Likes

Adding to this is AD Week’s article describing the ad as confirming the grandfather’s exploring gender identity. It doesn’t say specifically if that was the intent of the ad’s director, Gabe Ibáñez, but since more than a few people are reading it that way, I think it must be on purpose.

10 Likes

I cried this morning when I saw the ad, and I’m crying again just from reading the comments now.

Geez, an old trans gal is trying to work here! Hard to write code through tears.

13 Likes

I Love You Hug GIF by Chubbiverse

6 Likes