Whistleblower says Tesla spied on employees' cellphones, failed to act when told Mexican cartel dealing drugs at Gigafactory

Unless they have the consent of the parties, spying on cellphones is a large leap from monitoring network traffic.

2 Likes

He makes the rear bumpers out of glass meth.

1 Like

I imagine they do what everyone else does and has their employees read and sign an acceptable use policy notice upon hire. Every acceptable use policy I have read indicates that all traffic on the company network will be monitored, recorded and tracked and that personal use of the network shall be limited in some way.

The party on the other end of a phone call has generally not consented to your employee handbook.

3 Likes

if you use a phone on a network for which you have read and signed a statement of understanding which indicates that activity will be monitored, logged, etc and make a call to a third party, who is responsible? Can the employer be responsible for the employee making a call to someone who is not aware that the call is monitored or is it the responsibility of the person choosing to use such a network to make a call and failing to inform the other party of the situation?

Generally it is on the person running the recording equipment to seek the consent. That is why recording phone calls is way more uncommon than recording other types of network traffic. You are also assuming the existence of an agreement that no one has established and a technology that isn’t mentioned in the article.

2 Likes

In general yes. On the other hand, if I offered cell phone service to you for free with the stipulation that nothing done on the service would be private and that any and everything you do will be monitored and logged, you aren’t really justified in complaining that everything you do is monitored and logged.

You still have the issue of wiretapping laws that don’t work that way in Nevada. https://www.shouselaw.com/nevada/wiretapping.html

2 Likes

I’ll try again. If I make a call that is made in using a system where I know is going to be recorded, I am responsible for the legal repercussions for my actions. To think otherwise would be to imagine that if I ran my call through a tape recorder then the people who made the tape recorder I used to make the call are responsible for the legal repercussions of placing a call through a recording device which would just be silly. Of course it’s my responsibility if I make a phone call through a private network where I am aware that my activities are recorded.

1 Like
3 Likes

Pretty sure Tucker was innocent in that regard. But he may be the only one.

I’m extremely interested in what sort of tech they used to “spy” on these phones. Were they just intercepting texts or full on MITMing 4g? Would the VPN I have on my phone’s 4G + Signal keep the musk out of my sexts? Inquiring minds want to know!

1 Like

Another article mentioned Musk has been abusing ambien. And I read they were dealing coke and meth. Reading between the lines, I’d be willing to bet whoever supplies Musk et al. w/ drugs started dealing to the workers too.

1 Like
2 Likes

Getting themselves a highly illegal IMSI-catcher Stingray box would be several heaps of trouble if proven.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.