White Culture

The rural focus on money is hard to get used to. I’m in a city of 60k, but rural state overall. Anytime we share hobbies or little projects we’re doing, the common comment is, “you could make money at that!”
And at least 80% of the time we get quotes on stuff we want done around the house there’s some eyebrow raising and pants hitching, then, “things are getting expensive, now…” Makes me feel bad for what they must have to deal with.

9 Likes

Wait, is this still a thread about “white culture”?

Just sayin!

It actually seems like an example of white culture, talking about other things when the topic is white culture. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

You’re right but the realisation that non-racist communication is also non-asshole communication surely is worth the discussion?

For me the not asking the job question and assuming you deserve personal information were already parts of my interactions. To be honest I hadn’t really considered them from a perspective of racism. Explicitly. So I hope I’m learning here.

13 Likes

Conor Mckenna Fah GIF by FoilArmsandHog

8 Likes

Sorry, got off track, but the original article was about the intersection of white privilege and jobs, so…

So it IS on topic!

Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

12 Likes

Honestly, it has been an education for me how much stuff I never had thought of as “white” really and truly is absolutely melanin free. As i said at the very beginning of this thread, we often don’t see the whiteness of the culture for the same reason fish don’t see the water.

16 Likes

I’ve always been unsure of how to answer that question. I must have lived in ten states in my life, but no foreign countries. I say “all over”, “flyover country”, or just pick a city at random that maybe I lived in, maybe I didn’t. “All over” seems to piss people off. I’m not sure if it’s because they’re trying to relate to me but I’m giving them nothing, because they feel entitled to the info, or because they’re sizing up my social status. From reading this thread, I think it may be entitlement and social status more than anything else.

10 Likes

White culture = silence about embedded white supremacy

I wonder who is allowed to hide behind the costumes of hate? After all, for most of its existence Klan members did not wear hoods. And on Aug 11, the uniform of the neo-Nazi was the uniform of every white man. Hate is right there staring us in the face. It’s at our tables. It’s in our beds. How many white Americans are descended from people who were involved in lynchings? Whose parents and grandparents also marched with torches to terrorize our neighbors? And yet, White America is surprised every time hate is unmasked. Grabbing our pearls shocked. As if we, by our silence, had not participated in the cover up.

16 Likes

12 Likes
13 Likes

What a jerk. That commercial is cute.
Also, my history education k-12 was severely lacking (as was probably most of ours) but one thing they hammered on every year was the notion of USA as “the great melting pot.”
Did they not teach that part in ID?
Do they still teach that anymore, or have bigoted parents protested that out of existence, too?

13 Likes

Sort of. I think it’s now more of a “salad bowl” approach, where difference is still discernible (and appreciated), rather than melted away via assimilation (which mostly meant trying to become “white”).

11 Likes

A salad where the iceberg lettuce keeps trying to kill all the other veggies.

14 Likes

Or just:

No need to fight when it’s all white.

9 Likes

Similar stuff I found when looking at Star Trek: Discovery on IMDB yesterday. The user reviews’ top review was chock full of anti-LGBTQ and anti-diversity b.s. statements. Today, user reviews for the show are not showing up.

9 Likes

Black Girl Magic GIF by Identity

10 Likes

“This is not what Star Trek was intended to be!”

sexy the walking dead GIF

15 Likes

Yeah, see “How do I avoid “woke” in the X-Men series.” Assholes are seemingly incapable of understanding that most of us nerds envision a better world as one where equality and respect are very broadly applied, not restricted. Because if they did, it would make them the bad guys. Which they are, of course.

14 Likes

18 Likes

The Borg, or at least Cardassians.

10 Likes