White Culture

Thing with her “I was used and am also a victim” claim: she lied about the level of damages she suffered, kept to that story and is only admitting it after RWA got lawyers in who probably said “This is going into lawsuit territory, these things will come out in discovery.” Then, all of a sudden, her story shifts so she’s still a victim, just that the bad guy has changed. This has CYA all over it. She was quite happy to play along, so long as she thought she wouldn’t be sued.

5 Likes

Another thread on further developments:

White culture: so used to having your word being believed that you refuse to see that your narrative is downright transparent.

9 Likes

This is the kind of thinking that it seems so hard for white people to do in cases of institutional racism and for men to do in cases of systemic sexual assault. Like when a man is accused of sexual assault be a large number of women and people think they are lying. If they are lying, what the hell did that man do to make that many women had them so much that they were willing to commit crimes against them just to hurt them? It must have been pretty fucked up.

And that reasoning is obvious as long as you regard women and people of colour as people. But in opinion pieces and threads it always feels like the ratio between the thought and text devoted to: a) imagining the not-impossible* exculpatory motivations of white people and men; b) acknowledging the most plausible motives of women and non-white people; is probably 100:1.

* I say “not impossible” because I don’t want to even go so far as to say “possible”

Yes, I don’t really want to write about how much white people suffer under whiteness. What I want to do is understand what whiteness really is so that I can avoid teaching it to my children. Culture is tough as hell to change. I’m trying to figure out what priorities I don’t even know I have so I can invert them.

9 Likes

A wonderful way to put it.

I don’t know if you read books, but here’s two more that would help.

http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/product_info.php?products_id=22846

6 Likes

An interesting look about how a movie can be seen differently (layers seen and not seen) depending on how steeped in White Culture you are:

Knives Out spoilers linked beneath

Thread:

https://twitter.com/tracydeonn/status/1213998395150520320

I guarantee you that a lot of white viewers are secretly or not so secretly offended by how the racism in Knives Out is portrayed. Non-white people too, but the reasons are opposite. Most white people see it as “too heavy-handed” like a dropped anvil, many non-white people say it’s handled too lightly, without the seriousness it deserves.

5 Likes

Another example/manifestation: thinking others (libruls and POC) are asking you to apologize.

(She sure is working hard to be the new Ann Coulter.)

13 Likes

What a sad little ‘goal’, especially given that her level of intellect is nowhere near Coulter’s; though a low bar that may be, Laren still hasn’t got a chance in hell of clearing it.

8 Likes
12 Likes

This seems like it might be useful information:

9 Likes

God, nazi barbie always has such a stupid look on her face…

6 Likes

22 Likes

That sums it up pretty succinctly. Yessiree, it does.

12 Likes

I invoke the Golden Rule any time it comes up (and with my work, it comes up a lot). Really shuts people up quickly, to be told that the definition of ‘political correctness’ is simply the latest version of the Golden Rule. “You DO believe in the Golden Rule, right?” Yeah, that shuts the conversation down.

10 Likes

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

I am failing to see the problem. Iranian cultural sites go back hundreds to thousands of years and may be where huge moments of humanity occured. And it is a foreign power threatening to destroy them.

US Civil war monuments are largely fake, constructed well after the war to promote a false and white-supremacist narrative. Most of the people who want them gone are people who are local and suffer under that narrative. They are not the same.

13 Likes

Yep.

(Post is now at least nine characters long.)

6 Likes

Well, technically, the U.S. is also a foreign power to the Confederate States of America… :wink:

6 Likes

A couple more threads illustrating how the RWA meltdown is really a white culture issue:

Start with Kharma Kelley’s and then move to Bree’s. White fragility is a huge part of white culture.

ETA: some clarity from Courtney.

White Culture: where calling out racism is worse and more aggressive than being a racist.

7 Likes
7 Likes
2 Likes