White Culture

White Culture: dictating to victims of racism what will make them feel better after dealing with racism.

9 Likes

14 Likes

Great way to put this White Culture point.

9 Likes

Sadly, this is true all over. For some folks, racial identity trumps any other category. Summed up as “If you ain’t better than a n******, who are you better than?” And for some, they have no answer and it is that important to “better” than somebody. It sucks.

8 Likes

True all over among white folks, yes.

For some white folks, racial identity trumps any other category, yes.

5 Likes

And my poor phrasing is yet another example of white culture / white privilege!

4 Likes

IIRC, that’s almost a direct quote from Mississippi Burning, and though blunt and ugly, it’s quite apt.

Many people will ‘settle’ for being miserable, just as long as there is someone who is even more obviously miserable than they are.

It’s a really shitty way of handling life.

14 Likes

Huge white culture, here:

It’s the kind of thing we white people say that we think sounds fair to us, because we benefit so much from the baked-in biases of the so-called meritocracy. But the truth is we exclude a great many works and people before even determining their quality, simply because they aren’t what we’re used to (white, male, default). We need to consciously start adding diversity to the art canon. We need to seek it out and demand it.

(ETA: yes, I am aware that MRK is white also, but hers was an answer that sums up the problem and that I knew where to find).

10 Likes

…says the guy who overplays the Magical Negro trope to death in everyfuckingthing he writes, and portrays disabled characters as evil inhuman monsters…

5 Likes

10 Likes

13 Likes

If only he’d stuck the landing (rape has nothing to do with sexual attraction, as you know).

But otherwise, good for him for not putting up with that bigotry.

11 Likes

Unless it’s an allusion to something she said during that rant, about how she can see [insert stomach churning mix of racist sexist garbage related to attractiveness, depravity and ability to control oneself].

I agree that it’s probably his misstep, but I have heard some drunk white people going on about things and… I can see it.

9 Likes

FB_IMG_1579411569100

16 Likes

I don’t want to die on this hill, nor do I want to be pilloried, but does it bother you the common narrative for this heinous crime is frequently “100% this” or “0% that”. (Ex: Rape is about Control, or Rape has nothing to do with sexual attraction) You switch up your liberal/conservative circles and the claims change, but there seems to be a lot of all-or-nothing thinking when it comes to the motivations of rapists, and that doesn’t sit right with me.

(It may be better in another Wrath thread to discuss this, as OT…)

I have 5 years’ experience working as a trained advocate for rape victims. Every age, every race, every religion, every range of ‘prettiness’…and yes, men and boys get raped too. The all-or-nothing with this violent crime is that it is always a crime, and always violent (even if there are no open wounds), and always perpetrated by someone who picks their victims based on whether or not they’ll be able to overpower and control them – physically and/or psychologically – not on how they look.

13 Likes

This is not helpful – look what happened when Patrick Henry said it, or when the French started saying something similar, or the Russians, or in 1832 and 1848 in Europe – the entire white world were not applauding.

Remember those gifs people used to use that had a person looking upward, as the words THE POINT flew over the person’s head?

6 Likes

Remember those times when you look at the other posts and try to continue a conversation instead of introducing non-sequiturs?

1 Like

You keep taking it off topic, though.

6 Likes