White Culture

1 Like

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

10 Likes

This feel-good article from the Guardian (I can never remember how to spell the intentional misspelling of that paper!) had me grrr-ing:

It’s all about making friends as an older person, but the examples given show a white woman who simply doesn’t care enough to learn anything about her ‘friend’ until over time the information happens to come to her. Examples:

It was only later that I learned how Koreans value good food and about the importance they place on sharing and bonding over meals.

She had just met this woman, the most famous author in Korea, and taken her out to dinner in her role as literary agent, but apparently did no research into cultural norms in preparation.

Fast forward 12 years and we have forged a friendship that feels as if it has existed for a lifetime…snip…

I am a fast-talking New Yorker born in Brooklyn who talks with my hands. (Only this year I discovered that Koreans consider using hand gestures while speaking incredibly rude.)

It took her 12 years to learn that? But she claims this is a major friendship in her life.

She showed me a very different approach to dealing with a professional or personal setback: she doesn’t fight, she accepts. She regroups to heal and focuses on restoring her inner strength instead of allowing outside forces to suffocate her. At first, I couldn’t understand what seemed like emotional surrender, but as I got to know her better, I began to appreciate and eventually to emulate her Korean ways.

Ah, yes, the white woman’s behavior is unique to her, but her Korean friend’s every action stands in for all Koreans.

On another trip – N.B. this is well into the 12 years since she’s met the woman, and now has gone to Korea multiple times – (she) chose the moment to give me my first lesson in the Korean language. By the time we reached the summit, I had learned my first word – “kamsahamnida”, which means in English “thank you”.

This is someone whose career revolves around words in general, and she’s hitched her wagon to Korean literature in particular. But sure, how many years did it take her to finally learn one of the most obvious things to say in that language?

In April, Kyung-sook published her first novel in 11 years – I Went to See My Father. For me, the publication bookends Please Look After Mother and is also a testament to our everlasting friendship.

Me me me me me. It’s all about me.

She has showed me how to think more positively about life and has inspired me to write my own book, The Korean Book of Happiness. When I finished the last page and read over what I had written, I realised I had incorporated into my own life a Korean way of being that Kyung-sook embodies.

She literally ends by celebrating her cultural appropriation.

Frustrated Mary Tyler Moore GIF by HULU

11 Likes

Why it’s never too late
To culturally appropriate

(I don’t have anything meaningful to add, I just thought of the rhyme. :sweat_smile:)

9 Likes

Justin McCurry is the grauniad’s Japan correspondent and he’s generally pretty good, but whenever the Graun does any sort of coverage that’s focussed on culture rather than current affairs, I like to amuse myself (read: try to stop myself from grinding my molars into dust) by playing “Graun Japan Bingo.”

It’s a fun game that anyone can play! Squares include:

“Shoehorned-in mention of animism”
“Shoehorned-in mention of Shinto”
“Mysterious”
“Unnecessary use of a Japanese phrase with a perfectly decent English equivalent”
“Vending machines”
“Displays of genitals are banned!”
“Salaryman”
“Traditional gender roles”
“Tokyo = the whole of Japan”

It’s usually over within the first couple of paragraphs…

2 Likes

Nine specific phrases could make for a 3x3 bingo square.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I could fill it out to at least 8*8 and still make a game that was winnable in a single article…

3 Likes

Wow. This leaves me wondering how Kyung-sook Shin would describe their friendship.

I Dont Know Her Maribeth Monroe GIF by CBS

10 Likes

Exactly.

10 Likes

That is very cringe and I feel bad for the person she keeps calling a friend. Must be a trying relationship

I didn’t know Koreans find hand gestures while taking rude. That is good to know

6 Likes

Great, now we’ll all have to suffer through a sequel to Emily in Paris, this time set in Seoul…

2 Likes

I suppose, if one were in Korea.

What i find annoying at best about that part is the failure to think that most Koreans may well be worldly enough to realize that people from different countries act differently, and that they likely don’t expect non-Koreans to act like Koreans.

13 Likes

Yeah… just orientalism really.

8 Likes

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

Gilbert Gottfried What An Asshole GIF

6 Likes

“you’re hurting my fetus…”

5 Likes

Native American High School Graduate Sues School District for Forceful Removal of Sacred Eagle Plume at Graduation | Education

3 Likes

[ETA]

7 Likes

I don’t find this surprising at all.

8 Likes

Right? Seems like just one way that white supremacy is working exactly as intended.

8 Likes