White Culture

Remember when The Onion was parody? Oh, yes, good times…

9 Likes

Republicans Describe Their Strangest Interaction With Ron DeSantis

Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See

4 Likes

OK, that one is actually funny.

4 Likes

Spat on, beaten and subjected to slurs, Portlanders devastated their tormentors weren’t prosecuted - oregonlive.com

3 Likes
3 Likes

He donated his own brain to the collection when he died.

5 Likes

The only thing better is the skull collection. You just know there was a whole endowed archive devoted to phrenology.

Speaking of white supremacists supported by the ultra-wealthy…

[Archive]

4 Likes
7 Likes

Is the narration via AI? Sounds like a British accent of some type, and they also pronounce cellist as ‘chell-ist’ not ‘sell-ist’.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I always watch the Brooks and Capehart segment from PBS Newshour on friday. Now and again, they’ll have Gary Abernathy instead of Brooks, and then I miss Brooks. And then Brooks comes back, and I remember how much he annoys me. Capehart hides his annoyance with Brooks better.

7 Likes

Bobo’s unstated main mission is to make selfish Boomers feel better about abandoning the ideals of their youth and replacing them with consumerism in the 1980s. That’s the reason that a search for the term “Reagan” in his article about America becoming a meaner place yields zero results.

10 Likes

This might cause the mean-spirited to snarl and lash out viciously, but let them. It’s not the struggle that’s mean. It’s the status quo.

I might have to steal this. Nice quote.

11 Likes
5 Likes

He keeps insisting, almost EVERY WEEK that Trump’s core voters are white working class people… he certainly has some, but his main support is among middle and upper middle class suburban voters (especially men). Brooks wouldn’t know a working class person if they came up and smacked him.

9 Likes

3 Likes

A real man of the people!

10 Likes

The first national election that Brooks would have been eligible to vote in was 1980, which was the first time Reagan was the Republican candidate (against the preferences of the Republican party, but they realized they needed a charismatic candidate so they reluctantly went along with it that first time). I will bet you dollars-to-donuts that Brooks would have voted for Reagan in his inaugural ballot.

7 Likes

… but Ronald Reagan smiled for the camera while he gaslighted the world :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Another (very) white culture: Bama Rush

In Alabama, White Tide Rushes On

NY Times

https://archive.md/NhaqM

The impulse to diversify Bama Rush got me thinking about the book “Elite Capture.” Author Olúfẹ́mi O. Táíwò’s thesis is that radical terms d’art like identity politics and racial capitalism have lost their radical potential. They are victims of elite capture, the process by which the nominal winners of our system strip the terms down to a brand. In the case of “integrating” Bama rush, no one is talking about the radical roots of integration. They don’t even mean integration as an accommodationist principle. They mean the neoliberal branding of integration as cosmetic diversity. That would look like adding a few plus-size bodies, a racially ambiguous but nonwhite young woman, and some dark hair here and there and calling that fixing Bama Rush for our new sensibilities.

We can quibble about whether integration ever had a hope of being radically transformative, but it was more radical in practice than its mealy-mouthed descendants “diversity” and “inclusion.” But reaching for the diversity canard to fix our discomfort with Bama Rush content is an overreach. This is Alabama. The University of Alabama. This is the university where George Wallace infamously stood in the classroom doorway on the first day of class in 1963 to block Vivian Malone and James A. Hood from matriculating.

8 Likes