White House emails Trump Ukraine talking points around and—oops!— includes Democratic lawmakers

5 Likes

Thanks, now you gave me an earworm!

1 Like

That’s pretty dense. There doesn’t need to be quid pro quo for this statute; soliciting election aid from a foreign person at all is illegal. Asking for a “favor” to dig up dirt on a political opponent, with his personal attorney, is a gross violation of election laws. Full stop.

17 Likes

Translated into plain English: It shall be unlawful for a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value from a foreign national in connection with a Federal, State, or local election. (Dirt on your political rival clearly being a thing of value).

52 U.S. Code § 30121.

(a) Prohibition It shall be unlawful for—
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—
(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;
(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
© an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or
(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

Oh, also Giuliani probobaly violated the Logan Act

17 Likes

If those talking points were perfectly fine then why did they try and pull them back right after sending them out?

Actions speak volumes.

7 Likes

Everybody is talking about the talking points as “talking points” rather than trying to pass them off as arguments.

4 Likes

I’m not talking about if it was right or wrong what he did on the call I’m solely talking about the talking points and if it was a “mistake” that they went out for everyone to see.

2 Likes

Sorry for being snippy, then; I misunderstood.

As for whether the talking points memo release was accidental or some kind of super-strategy, I have two words: Hanlon’s Razor.

6 Likes

6 Likes

But there is quid pro quo in Trump’s action. Trump unilaterally holds back a large and desperately needed benefit to the Ukraine. Trump waits a week and the jumps on the call and asks for a favor. Keeps holding the payment while the favor is still outstanding. That’s the very definition of quid pro quo in action - regardless what was said.

5 Likes

Trump is an idiot for even worrying about Biden (among other things). He should have wanted him to be his opponent.

4 Likes

There’s a classic political cartoon from New York’s “Boss Tweed” era, in which a bunch of identical “political cronies” stand in a circle. Each is picking the pocket of the one to his left while pointing at the one to his right.
Think of the current Republican party as doing something similar.
For a bonus challenge, imagine the equivalent, but with the MAGA-cap-wearing “base” in a similar circle with the Redcap In Chief. But instead of picking each other’s pockets, they’re letting the other person do the thinking… So no actual thought gets made.

1 Like

Exactly. It’d be a repeat of 2016.

2 Likes

Whistleblower complaint just declassified, so it will likely be read out on national TV today (Thurs) in the DNI hearing.

This feels so much like watching the Watergate hearings in college. They cancelled classes and set up TVs in all the classrooms for us to watch.

7 Likes

One witness = No Treason
Traitorous as hell though
If he keeps.this up we’ll be part of the “Newly Liberated Eastern Block”.

1 Like

Do we commemorate this as a national holiday going forward?
So many important dates, which one should we choose?

• 9/24 - Pelosi finally decides to move
  • 9/25 - Formal impeachment inquiry
  • x/yy - MF’s first day of prison

0 voters

3 Likes

Let’s take the week off, to be safe/optimistic.

6 Likes

Senator Sasse (R-NE) after reading the whistleblower complaint: “…Republicans ought not to be rushing to circle the wagons to say there’s no there there when there’s obviously lots that’s very troubling there…”

4 Likes

Water-you-an-Idiot gate?

6 Likes

Has an actual transcript of the call been released or just “notes” or “transcript summary”?
At this point I raise an eyebrow at anything released from this WH so quickly and willingly.

2 Likes