White identity and sexism gave Trump the electoral college

I suppose the point of the exercise is to try to disprove the claim that economic despair and alienation was more of a driving force in his win than racism and sexism were.

I’m not going to plow through a Tweetstorm but I wouldn’t be surprised that he supports his contention. My assertion remains that it was a combination of factors: very real economic despair at being left behind by the American economy combined with an outraged sense of entitlement that native-born white Christian males should be put in such a position in America at all. That makes for a prime mark for a right-wing populist confidence artist.

As to the lesson the Dems should take from all this is that while they can’t and shouldn’t do anything to attract the bigots and sexists the GOP courts they can dump their Third Way neoliberal-lite economic agenda. Whether they will or not is still an open question.

6 Likes

These issues are not at odds with class, but are interrelated with class. Until we understand this fact, we’re going to keep circling the drain of this issue.

22 Likes

And you’re going to fail to isolate the two. A GOP populist without racism and sexism and all the Southern stategy the media can enable wouldn’t win.

1 Like

The post mortem is very important. We will need it to win the next elections.

Now what are we going to do with the dark leader.

1 Like

My parents who live in a high percentage white upper class neighborhood told me that they have neighbors who feared ISIS was coming to kill them and that Syrian refugees were going to move in next door. I was floored. The scariest thing that might happen to these folks is that Whole Foods might, just might, run out of bread and milk. Fear does some crazy things with peoples heads. Unbelievable.

Right wing media is too blame. Fear outsells sex these days.

18 Likes

If you take the time to read through the rest of the comment you’ll see that I agree.

Do you think the Democrats will learn though? Trump showed how to conduct a campaign but I just don’t think the Democrats are willing to execute on the plan. If they don’t Trump will get 8 years if he wants it and if he isn’t impeached by his own party before then.

1 Like

Class is inextricably intertwined with all these issues, so yes, thank you. Although, I do think we need a new definition of what “class” means; I think we rely too heavily on outdated notions of “class”.

11 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, actually. Class has much of a cultural component more so than necessarily a purely economic one.

15 Likes

As our president elect demonstrates.

12 Likes

Exactly. How can we possibly discuss class as purely socioeconomic? It depends on regional and national norms. When we say “second-class citizens”, what do we mean anymore? Illegal aliens? African-Americans? Women? (Yes to the women, but I bet you knew I’d say that.)

11 Likes

We need new Democratic leadership. I don’t want to hear a word from the old guard. They are so friggen lazy and complacence. I know someone who is an important Democratic leader who is national known. After the election he told me, “Well the sun came up, didn’t it.” At that point I’m stunned. I think to my self, “The sun doesn’t give a s!@# about me.” No way they walk away from this disaster clean. If they can’t walk away quietly then provisional party leadership needs to be elected.

6 Likes

This is precisely what we need. The progressives must take over the party and rip it away from the slow slouching toward Republican Bethlehem that the Clintons started in 1992.

16 Likes

The exit polls show that HRC support with whites dropped 2% compared to Obama in 2012. We can argue why.

But she also lost 8 points among Asians. 5 points among African Americans. And, in the face of all of this campaign rhetoric coming from Trump, she lost 6 points among Latinos.

The Democrats have a white working class problem. But I think it has a lot less to do with the white part of that equation than some people are willing to think.

http://www.nytimes.com/.../election-exit-polls.html

6 Likes

Including the longstanding idea that America is a classless society. A lot of people still can’t get past that, let alone make the distinction between economic and social class or get into the more nuanced interrelationships between the two and other forms of gender and skin privilege.

The great Paul Fussell’s wicked 1983 book on the topic is a bit dated in its specifics but still relevant in its approach and unmatched in its style.

6 Likes

This, this, this. But Horatio Alger proves it: We can all pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, so why are people complaining?

And thanks for the book recommendation – I’ll check it out.

4 Likes

Honestly, although I find it both interesting and relevant, this information is conveyed here in a mess which I do find difficult to visually parse. I am still working at it.

2 Likes

It’s a fun read. Just keep in mind that it’s written tongue-in-cheek.

In re: the bootstraps narrative, WNYC’s On The Media had a series on poverty myths in America. Episode 3 discusses its history.

1 Like

And then there is Steinbeck, and his perfect description of the American working poor as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. I said it before and will say it again. Some temporarily embarrassed millionaires have just elected an ostentatious one.

http://www.temporarilyembarrassedmillionaires.org

9 Likes

Psshaw, next someone is going to tell me that there are homophobic gay people.

13 Likes