White man in company van follows black man home to let him "know how much of a N— " he is

I kind of don’t feel bad for them either. They enabled him.

The only mistake by the black person here is they drove to their home and then confronted him. Now this guy knows where this person lives. That honestly scares me. I once had someone get majorly road ragey on me when I was driving home and followed me into my neighborhood. I absolutely did not drive home and in fact just kept driving around until he calmed down and left me alone.

14 Likes

So there’s a part of me that wants to end another way. The black guy invites the racist in for a beer to talk things over, they end up chatting man-to-man and and the racist ends up seeing the error of his ways. But Trump has enabled this unacceptable behavior and I fear for the future that there was no better outcome than we saw. Congrats to the black guy for keeping his cool. Hope the racist gets the public shaming he deserves.

6 Likes

A lifetime of being a racist asshole does’t get undone over a beer. He needs an accredited therapist, not the labor of his victim.

32 Likes

Does ol’ van guy have a meme name yet?

Says he grew up with the N word
Afrer a few days he released an articulate and well thought out apology, and for some reason I dont believe he wrote it.

3 Likes

Im sure he already has a lot of black friends

5 Likes

Obama tried that once. Racist right-wingers didn’t seem to appreciate the effort.

11 Likes

Yes, the infamous Beer Summit came to mind.

4 Likes

No.

The onus is NOT on Black folks or other POC to help White folks get over their own racism and bigotry.

64 Likes

You know who did an exemplary job of that? President Obama.

Didn’t work, did it?

8 Likes

For the wrong word, he sure used it a LOT.

12 Likes

I think I read he owned the company - but yeah, I bet that is bad for business. He did get his BBB rating nuked/suspended.

It’s like everything he said he should have been saying to himself.

And let’s just assume a minute there was a traffic issue he was in the wrong of. Just move on with your life. You don’t follow people to their homes. Period. You don’t yell at people after following them home. Period. Even if it was just a regular chewing out with out the racial slurs, you don’t have the right. Shit happens - intentionally or unintentional or due to mistakes or ignorance. Being an asshole doesn’t help anything.

9 Likes

Sometimes the wrong word trips off the tongue, but this was more like this:

11 Likes

Jeez, this dude almost seems like his name was chosen for an unbearably heavy-handed morality play.

10 Likes

On one hand, I agree with this.

On the other… it’s a decidedly neo-liberal, market-based view of social ethics, that fundamentally disregards the fact that all is one.

2 Likes

Came to make much the same comment. At this point it looks like 2018’s scriptwriters are just phoning it in.

3 Likes

And complaining doesn’t help at all!

10 Likes

I feel like Trump hasn’t just emboldened racists to be more vocal, but vocal emboldened racists are what voted/got him into office. I feel like it’s always been prevalent, some of us are just seeing more of it because of wider access to smartphone technology and social media.

13 Likes

As many people in other places have pointed out, this did not ruin his life, he ruined his life.

A mistake is picking up the wrong brand of toilet tissue. This was a choice.

29 Likes

Plus, everybody forgets the earlier, necessary step in those conversions.

The isolation (being separated from like-minded people) and ostracism (everyone else telling them that they’re an asshole and no one wanting to be around them) are part of every successful “kill it with kindness” incident.

Without that, there’s no incentive to change.

12 Likes