White supremacists call for Star Wars boycott because imaginary brown people

It has some racially insensitive language, btw, if you haven’t seen this clip:

8 Likes
8 Likes

Isn’t the news media making a big deal out of this small group of trolls actually what those trolls want? This doesn’t seem to be anything more than few racist dipshits/trolls trying to get attention by gaming Twitter’s trending topics system and laughing as sites like Boing Boing report on it like it’s real news.

4 Likes

If the overwhelming response drowns out and rebukes the original racist message then it’s not like they win.

6 Likes

I was not referring to any specific agendum. It hardly seems to matter what, because they seem to not be about any real issues. As I was saying, seeing something one does not like =/= “propaganda”, because depiction of a thing in no way implies endorsement of it. Nor does it innately reflect a specific ideological position. It’s like the refuge for shitheel moralists who need to be spoon-fed simple answers about whether what creators show is “good” or “bad” - a perspective which is ironically as propagandistic as what they accuse others of. For instance, if I depict a gay character, without explaining that “gayness is wrong”, then I am somehow advocating it by not injecting an element of propaganda. So art cannot speak for itself, which makes a recipe for bad art.

Basically, most people pointing in the shadows and screaming “ideology!” seem to be painfully lacking in self-awareness about their own far-out biases.

I’m really scared of this potential boycott. I mean, look at what they did to Fury Road.

31 Likes

Better Call Saul…

1 Like

(As an aside, as a record collector I’m interested in hearing more about these “mumbling records” you mention. Did they actually make those?)

they’re arseholes”…and so am I.

3 Likes

Well, more of a dick really.
Grammar Nazis are a very low form of internet dickhead. Trying to feel superior over something completely unimportant. It’s all rather brainless and robotic.

2 Likes

Rook, peopre can algue about Watto and the Sand People and possibry even the Gungans if in deniar, but Nemoidans be compretery lacist and even wolse, just razy. And if you think I being lacist, me just tarking in Nemoidian accent. Not lacist at arr. This futule arien stuff. Totarry unlerated.

Okay, that’s hard to do… anyhow, it’s not just one accidental race that’s completely a lazy racist stereotype, it’s at least four. That’s beyond coincidence.

8 Likes

Apparently so! A friend played some of one for me, and I looked for more ever since, to no avail. They were a niche thing and made in minute quantities.

I used to have a great record collection, consisting mostly of non-musical records. Medical and psychiatric stuff, NASA, preachers, poetry, red-scare and drug propaganda, vocational training - all manner of random stuff.

Since then I have made a decent collection of such things on cassette, because that’s what I was finding. Less tactile and sonorous than vinyl, but much cheaper and more varied. Lots of psychiatric tapes, but, alas - no mumbles yet.

1 Like

can anyone show if these people were ever actually Star Wars fans? They could just have said that in the same way some trolls start off with ‘I was a liberal until…’

2 Likes

Yes.

No.

.#notallrodians

5 Likes

No sense of proportion, no bearing on reality. I swear some people think the holocaust was a film with Liam Neeson in it.

It is the job of any decent kid to bring his/her parents up properly and to show them the error of their ways if need be.

Ugh, we did all this shit last year

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” star John Boyega has one thing to say to those questioning the inclusion of a black Stormtrooper in the upcoming pic: “Get used to it.”

2 Likes

Mostly, I’m just wondering how they’re going to reconcile a Black Stormtrooper with the canon. I’m secretly hoping they retcon it so that episodes I,II, and III never happened and we can abandon all the questions raised by the stupid clone idea.

1 Like

They already have. Stormtroopers at the time of New Hope are no longer clones. So … simple!

7 Likes