White teacher reprimanded black 13-year-old student by saying he might get "lynched"

Wasn’t there another story about Ohio recently?

1 Like

In all my travels, Ohio stands out as the place fellow white people made nakedly racist statements figuring I was like minded because of the color of my skin.

Not even in Georgia have I seen that.

1 Like

You’d be surprised, or maybe not, but i’ve had people tell me some pretty racist things about minorities despite the fact that i’m obviously Latino. Some people just have a broken filter and are going to say what they’re going to say.

5 Likes

I’ve always wondered how any town could still be named…

3 Likes

Well, it’s named for its founder in 1786, John Lynch.

Interestingly, Wikipedia notes: “John Lynch freed his own slaves during his lifetime and consistently supported the antislavery movement.”

9 Likes

Haha, yeah, I looked up the origin of the name years ago, so I knew its history, but thanks for the info. :slight_smile:
Isn’t it a tragic name for any city, especially one in the south? How can they not have changed it already?

That is a good point. It makes sense that the home to liberty university and “the gays caused katrina” would be okay with using the historical argument for keeping such an offensive name. They made the same argument for keeping the confederate statues, and the confederate flag at the courthouses, etc.

4 Likes

Dude… no matter what it’s historical origin may have been, a name like that would automatically make me avoid going anywhere near the location… even if it wasn’t in VA.

7 Likes

I think lots of people think lynching is getting whipped with cattails or something. Like a slap on the wrist then everyone goes home.

Lynching is TERROR, TORTURE AND MURDER.

5 Likes

:musical_note: You can say that they’re just black,
But I like to deal with facts
In the 1920s you would’ve found in America
Black towns,
Prospering centres of economics
and education to make you proud
But some people couldn’t bear
that the former slaves would not just lie down
So the KKK and other hate groups burnt
those towns to the ground
Killin hundreds,
If it ain’t understood,
You think you were always livin’ in the hood?
Shit it’s only been sixty years
Since they hung blacks and burned 'em
And that was so cool
Day rail passes, picnic baskets
Even gave kids the day off school
To go see a lynchin’
Have a picnic
It’s fun to watch the little monkeys die
Then people act a little dysfunctional
You wanna pretend that you don’t know why :musical_note:

10 Likes

“Boing Boing – A Directory of Mostly Wonderful Things.”

Yeah, you need to rethink that . . .

You sound so disappointed…

10 Likes
5 Likes

Did you not wonder?

Ever spent time in more rural GA?

4 Likes

Thread:

(trigger warning: contains detailed description of lynching)

6 Likes

Right? Anywhere rural in the US, and ESPECIALLY in the rural South.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.