White woman wants minority internship, sues Getty Foundation

Totally agree with you there!

And as we’ve learned in this thread, there is enough grade inflation in higher education in Utah that someone with a 3.7 GPA at SUU should not be too impressed with herself, either.

3 Likes

No need for that. There are no Federal standards for race. As William F. Buckley once said, “There is no platinum-iridium Negro in the basement of the Bureau of Standards.”

5 Likes

I’m talking about the fact that my institution gets 60k worth of applicants a year. I’m not looking at specific communities, I’m looking at the predictive value of what the score correlates to. These are minor in the scheme of things. And this is common throughout any institution.

Since every human has black African roots, I guess anybody could claim to be black. Maybe they should specify a range of pantone codes for the skin tones they are looking for.

Federal Standards on race actually do exist. I know for the CDC at least, race classification is often about what the community considers your race to be.

1 Like

humanæ

11 Likes

Damn, I keep forgetting – white folks are the REAL victims of racism now. Thanks, Obama!

This girl who’s playing the (white) race card just HAS to be one of those white folks who have that tired cliche (about “the race card”) in their everyday vocabulary.

10 Likes

There have been legitimate studies showing that the non-math portions of the SATs are racially biased toward whites.

7 Likes

Years ago (probably something like 25), a friend told me that her son came home from taking the PSAT and asked her what a “marina” was. She told him and he looked pleased because he got it right. Probably from visiting his grandparents in Seattle.

I’ve never forgotten that simple example, because it shows how easy it is to weight a test toward a certain socio-economic group.

12 Likes

Mariners?

3 Likes

6 Likes

Why are all those Pantone colors fictional or incorrect?

2 Likes

winger racist
dolezal black

Just making some withdrawals from the bank

7 Likes
7 Likes

I think the advantage of these tests is that they are nationally standardized, so you eliminate, as you say, the grade inflation and other differences you might see associated with mixing and matching school districts. But they’re not completely immune to fudging.

I briefly taught for a test-prep company (many years ago) and we could fairly reliably raise SAT scores something like 75-100 points (or something like that – my memory of the exact numbers is pretty fuzzy). We covered the material being tested, but we also taught test-taking strategies as well, things you could do that could improve your score just by understanding how the test worked.

I do agree that they’re not a great predictor of success, though.

4 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Personally, I loved any entrance test based on innate intelligence. They all wanted me and I walked into the best schools with no trouble, then I disappointed them with my mediocrity. But I do have a lot of potential!

6 Likes

are they? I wouldn’t recognize a correct Pantone ID even when it hits me on the head.

1 Like

A friend and I looked for a Marina a while back cos it would make a hilarious hot-rod sleeper. We found a clean four-door on Ebay. Know what they wanted for it? THREE. AND. A. HALF. GRAND.

4 Likes

For years, my mother used to enter (for me) a contest whose top prize was a full scholarship at Howard university. Over the years, I think we won every prize available except the top one. If I’d won, I dare say I would have accepted, but I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it to my fellow students once I was there.

ETA: Oops, should probably mention that, as I recall, it was a contest branded with Martin Luther King’s name.

2 Likes