White woman wants minority internship, sues Getty Foundation

OT, but you may want to have a look at this

1 Like

Godwins law, presumably.

3 Likes

Ah. No coffee for me yet…and I kept thinking–it’s gotta be a Russian b/c they have names that kinda spell that way…

Still bothers me. Just spell out the godamn thing and move on.

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad, I needed the assist too! ETA: maybe because the comparison is so inapt.

1 Like

Times are tough for the whites

4 Likes

Is that how it works now?

I hereby declare that I, @the_borderer, am Queen of Scotland, as my ancestors were Scottish kings. Sadly, sainthoods aren’t hereditary, otherwise I would claim that as well (Saint Margaret of Scotland was married to King Malcolm III).

My first act as Queen is to declare independence from the United Kingdom.

8 Likes

That is pretty much how race works.

Unfortunately, you’re still not getting the Getty internship.

1 Like

Can I come live in your kingdom, my liege?

6 Likes

Actually no. Claims of tribal affiliation, for example, often require evidence.

8 Likes

All hail Queen @the_Borderer, long may she reign!

7 Likes

Yes! Another subject for her Majesty, Queen @the_borderer!

6 Likes

Right. But the “fudging” here being a function of a school district’s resources (or an individual student’s) with the availability of prep classes (which are pretty much key to scoring well on the tests). This is as opposed to grade inflation which is merely deceptively exaggerating the efforts of a student.

1 Like

It isn’t. I managed to get to college without ever taking an SAT, and I had a .5 GPA (point five!) after high school.

I got a GED with a high score, then spent 3 years in community college, leaving with a high GPA. Colleges don’t require an SAT if you’re a transfer student.

This might not be true of big important universities, but odds are your local state uni doesn’t care.

7 Likes

Fair enough. But bear in mind your route to a 4 year university is generally atypical. Plenty of students are going that route, but the majority do not.

The 4th episode of Diff’rent Strokes dealt with this very same subject as well.

4 Likes

I never claimed it was typical, I was just saying that SATs aren’t the be-all-end-all.

I’ve actually recommended to some kids who were in the same equally troubled spot as I was, to just drop out and get the GED. Our culture puts an insane level of importance on high school, which can be harmful to some kids who were like me.

The same goes for the SAT. We assign a high level of pressure on kids that they must do well on the “one test to rule them all”, or they risk being a life-long failure. Some kids don’t test well, no matter how bright they are. Some kids fold under the pressure. Presenting the one true path to college, and therefore success as based on arbitrary high school marks, and an equally arbitrary test isn’t helpful.

5 Likes

I was not claiming you were. I agree with your point completely. Transferring from CC is probably the best choice for those who do not deal with standardized tests well.

Wasn’t my intention. I apologize if my posts came off that way. I was overgeneralizing.

4 Likes

I get the point here but any decision based on race is racist by definition - no? Maybe they should base it on a more economic rational?

How, other than forms of race-based affirmative action like this one, do you recommend making up for the accumulated results of centuries of affirmative action for white people?

It’s not like in terms of race, things are on an even playing field yet.

And there already are scholarships, internships, awards and so on based on economic disadvantage, as well as on gender, disability, and other forms of entrenched disadvantage. Why are so many people so much slower to dismiss these forms then they are those based on race?

8 Likes

Probably because “they don’t see race” or racism and don’t think it has had the pernicious effect that it’s actually had. Then there is reality, but who cares about that?

3 Likes