Whitesboro's racist town logo up for vote

Don’t lump me in with the highly questionable history of the USA. My family all came here in the 20th century, as did many Americans’.

1 Like

On the other hand, this mural is historically significant for influencing how Rob Liefeld would learn to draw legs and feet.

12 Likes

Fucking hell, do we really need photos of actual violence to raise the temperature of this thread? Are trigger warnings beyond the pale now?

3 Likes

Do you seriously not know who that is an image of? (And that’s not a fedora, as you can tell by the brim.)

4 Likes

Guess I’m not as good as you are at compartmentalizing the shit done to other people in my name with my money. Guess I also don’t see as much reason as you apparently do for doing that.

1 Like

Really? Someone who didn’t know, would think we’re a bunch of pyramid worshipers, with a little Eye of Sauron fetish thrown in for good measure. You’re clearly trying to have it both ways. Which can be fun, in the right circumstances, but not with this.

1 Like

The new seal should have them chest bumping.

2 Likes

I thought this was showing the prelude (prelube?) to some decent man lovin’.

1 Like

You do not get to pretend that you can do the shit that you wouldn’t let anyone else get away with without getting called out on it.

Nobody with a conscience needs to be graphically reminded what this is about. And anybody who doesn’t know or care what a suffering child looks like isn’t going to be convinced by you shock-jocking everyone else.

8 Likes

Agreed. And this is what history books are pretty much for.

City seals for cities which are active communities, not so much.

2 Likes

Yep! And just to finish this conversation up in the correct manner… Loose seal!!!

2 Likes

someone call for loose seal fur?

1 Like

Disapproving “LUCIIIIIILE.”

Yeah, that probably works better as audio, but am too lazy to hunt down a relevant clip from MST 3000.

2 Likes

The Onieda Nation has been one of the leaders of the effort to get the Washington Redskins to change their name, but there doesn’t seem to be any reporting on what local members think of the Whitesboro logo.

1 Like

They’ve had a whole series of questionable murals printed with WPA dollars in the 30’s.

I swear that there was one that has a title that contained the word “fisting,” but for the life of me I can’t remember in which episode I saw it.

2 Likes

See, I shouldn’t laugh… Yeah, I can’t help myself.

I think I’m a weirdo, and then ‘normal’ people do shit like that and it makes my brain asplode. Do I need to up my weirdo game?

1 Like

I, for one, find it refreshing in it’s honesty.

Their thanksgiving celebrations must be a blast.

I stand by the revisions I suggested last time this topic was discussed here.

Keep the American Indian and the guy in the leather jacket, but put them in a friendlier context and invite a few of their friends.

12 Likes

You can’t say “camaraderie” without “marauder!”

3 Likes

Girand has a point. But historic seals, at least American Seals, usually have a lot going on they try to shove into one thing. Traditional marketing and branding needs to be streamlined and sell-able. Government seals and banners are made often by committee with people trying to appease everyone on what is important.

This is the Kansas Seal. While a lot going on, it would be fine except they PUT IT ON THE FLAG!! Good god, trying to color this as a kid or draw it? Nope. Why can’t we have something simple like Texas.

As for the issue at hand, reading the history, I find it an ok idea with horrible execution. According to the historical story (assuming it isn’t BS), there was a competition and respect earned. It should be pointed out that even though the US gov. fucked over the Indians, and some Indians and settlers were openly hostile to one another, there are many, many examples of the two getting along and having respect for one another.

Seems to me they needs someone with talent to do something, maybe an after match hand clasp or some other imagery that conjurers up camaraderie complete with historical accuracy of the depiction. Or find a different idea altogether.

1 Like