No-one owns the moon.

But the Varcolac eats it.

So good luck rubes.

3 Likes

Really?!
He said I was his friend

(Which came as a surprise)

3 Likes

Brings to mind Cory’s Man Who Sold The Moon story (epic!)

Which reminds me of another Cory story where the dad is in prison for printing up copyright pharmaceuticals and such. When he gets out he immediately wants a 3D printer and a bunch of goo… why? To print printers. Lots and lots of printers (reprap!)

1 Like

obligatory

1 Like

Chairface

7 Likes

I always wondered how different lunar development would have been if Armstrong’s first words were “I claim this moon for the United States!”

Oh sure, it’d be illegal, and there would be immediate worldwide outrage, but humanity would probably have ten to fifteen lunar colonies now.

2 Likes
1 Like

Silly question. The moon is owned by D. D. Harriman.

5 Likes

Well… I know I don’t. So we could start from there and work backwards.

3 Likes

Spoilers: In the end, the Moon owned him.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I spoke into his eyes.

(Even with today’s news, there’s not nearly enough Bowie content these days.)

3 Likes

Huh.
Me, I laughed and shook his hand…

(never enough content, agreed)

4 Likes

Ah yes, but, I ask you, who owns them all?!

Win-win thing, that.

Who owns the Moon?

If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.

5 Likes

I think Richard Garriott de Cayeux (Lord British) owns some part of the Moon.

“Garriott bought the Luna 21 lander and the Lunokhod 2 rover (both currently on lunar surface) from the Lavochkin Association for $68,500 in December 1993 at a Sotheby’s auction in New York[54] (although the catalog incorrectly lists lot 68A as Luna 17/Lunokhod 1).[55] Garriott notes that while UN treaties ban governmental ownership of property off earth, corporations and private citizens retain such rights. Lunokhod 2 is still in use with mirrors aligned to bounce lasers such that precise earth moon distances can be measured. With his vehicle “still in use”, Garriott claims property rights to the territory surveyed by Lunokhod 2. This may be the first valid claim for private ownership of extraterrestrial territory.[56] Lunokhod 2 held the distance record for miles traveled on another planetary body, until surpassed by the NASA Opportunity Rover in 2014.”

3 Likes

Free-style commercial enterprise and exploitation of orbital, and space borne materials will lead to de facto ownership, regardless of the laws applied; this must be avoided at all costs lest those nations who are less resource hungry find themselves pushed into irrelevancy.

Subject: The Moon USA

There have been many artificial islands created, but to my knowledge only China’s are for military use. Russia even planted their flag on the floor of the Arctic Ocean at the North Pole, claiming its rich resources in 2007. Well, O.K., fair is fair. In 1969 the U.S.A. planted the only flag (still) on the moon. Maybe you are getting ahead of me on this but I’m going to say it anyway: The moon IS ours. The first planted flag has almost always garnered possession and the resulting ownership was respected by most legitimate countries. Any treaties can be broken, including the Outer Space Treaty of 1967. The moon is rightfully ours.