Who put the "X" in "Xmas"

[Permalink]

2 Likes

ā€¦and letā€™s not forget the reason for the season!

DEUS SOL INVICTUS, all hail the unconquerable sun!

That Ī§ĻĪ¹ĻƒĻ„ĪæĻ‚ fellow was born in the summertime or late fall.

3 Likes

Well at least we know who put the X in Sex.

Man that ā€œno face paintā€ phase of theirs still freaks me out a bit.

5 Likes

What Iā€™d like to know is who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?

5 Likes

If you notice Jesusā€™ hand in some paintings, heā€™s flashing a sign that is his name in Greek.

You can see an example here:

2 Likes

Educated Christians should already know about this sort of stuff, like the chi-rho Christogram, one would have thought? Anyway, no big deal.

2 Likes

Christians are just ordinary folk. Not everyone knows everything.

1 Like

The thing that tends to inspire a certainā€¦visceral distasteā€¦ for christians ignorant of this particular bit of trivia is the (nontrival, and really loud) segment of christians who donā€™t know about it and freak out about the atheist, liberal, secular, plot to ā€˜take the Christ out of Christmas!!!ā€™ or ā€˜Censor Jeus!!!ā€™ by using ā€œXmasā€ as an abbreviation.

9 Likes

Jesus had better hope that Megyn Kelly is right about him being a white guy; because he is clearly flashing a gang sign in that icon. If she isnā€™t, itā€™s a tasing and overworked-public-defender-fun-timeā€¦

5 Likes

Thus the Chi-Rho page in the Book of Kells.

3 Likes

The loudest Christians are the ones with the least to say thatā€™s worth hearing.

3 Likes

The loudest anyones are not worth listening to unless theyā€™re singing.

3 Likes

Looks more like ā€œThe Shocker.ā€

2 Likes

No, but often these same Xians are professing to know how other people should live their lives, and claiming that Xianity is the only way to be a good personā€¦while displaying gross ignorance of the same Xianity they are trying to force on others. Iā€™ve found that I often know more about Xianity, itā€™s history, and whatā€™s in the Bible than the Bible-thumpers I come across.

4 Likes

And sometimes not even then. You ever do karaoke?

Agree with most of the comments above, and would only add that the use of ā€œXā€ instead of writing out ā€œChristā€ wasnā€™t merely for convenience, but rather to avoid using ā€œHis name in vain,ā€ and thus to keep it sacred/holy/etc.

xkcd10k ftw!

That doesnā€™t sound right. Do you have a cite for that?

1 Like

I was hoping it was aliens. :frowning:

5 Likes

Iā€™d heard it was, in part to avoid persecution from the romans- use a code and such.