Why Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.4 Billion

Those that aren’t grown on factory farms using oodles of pesticides that are banned in developed countries for very good reasons. Can you tell the difference?

Depends on the country. The standards are so low and ill defined that “certified Organic” has little to no actual tangible meaning in most situations.

4 Likes

Reason for this: Trader Joes is owned by Aldi. The Albrechts were famous/notorious for their cost-cutting measures: e.g in the early decades their stores didn’t have a telephone/land line.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough in my neck of the woods (North Jersey), we have both Trader Joes and Aldi stores within about 5 miles of each other.The decor of Aldi is essentially “Low Rent Trader Joes” with the same communist style one brand for everything.

It all makes sense. Good to know.

2 Likes

Well technically, Joe’s is owned by Lidl

1 Like

The Aldi Brand in the US is/was owned by the other Albrecht brother (now his heirs).

There are essentially two Aldis, Aldi Nord (north) and Aldi Süd (south). They use the same brand but are financially separated. In the USA Aldi Nord is Trader Joes and Aldi Süd is Aldi.

5 Likes

It’s customer service, or lack there of. The difference between going in the local B&N and Borders was night and day. I loathed going to Borders simply because every person I talked to acted like it was such a chore to help me, and that includes me actually paying money to buy something.

3 Likes

My not entirely serious theory is that Bezos got tired of seeing how much money his employees were spending at the Whole foods in South Lake Union neighborhood where the campus is. If you go in during the day it is a sea of badges. Now they will just being handing that paycheck right back where it came from.

That :arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down: made me actually LOL.

8 Likes

Retweeted Jeff Lewis (@ChicagoPhotoSho):

Bezos: “Alexa, buy me something from Whole Foods”

Alexa: “Buying Whole Foods”

Bezos: Shit

19 Likes

Will Whole Foods remain virulently anti-union?

3 Likes

I guess you don’t have Amazon lockers in your city. It’s so nice not having my shit swiped by kids from the high school across the street.

Interestingly they’re typically at Von’s, Albertsons,* and 7-11 which means you could have two in a stone’s throw.

*both those grocery stores are not doing great

3 Likes

As far as i know there’s no such thing in Austin despite the fact that Amazon has offices and warehouses here.

1 Like

as a customer of amazon’s from way back when they first started, and only sold books, i have a hard time hating on them. i think this is a good thing. i just wish i had bought stock in them, lol

1 Like

This is great news. Now Amazon can get on with the business of slowly bludgeoning organic food retailers to death with their predatory pricing bullshit. You know, since they’re just about finished up with publishers and booksellers.
This horrifies me on so many levels. As publishers, we used to joke about Amazon taking over the world. Because not joking leads to a spiralling into despair.

Those jokes ain’t so funny no more.

4 Likes

In other Amazon news…

3 Likes

I just did a search and there are 20 in Austin. Below are the first 12.

And here is the link to refine the search:
Search for a Locker location

Ah interesting, nothing super near me but this is good to know. Oddly enough nothing on the Amazon site gives me a heads up this is an option for my area so i don’t know how it works.

1 Like

I haven’t used the lockers for a delivery yet but I am sure someone else can comment on the order process. I did use a locker to return something which went super easy. I did notice that each locker installation has a nickname (on a big sign above the lockers) and I think there was a url. I imagine if you follow the url you can let amazon know that you want this locker as an option when purchasing something.

Might not be worth it for every little purchase but seems worth a drive for expensive items.

Ayup. I worked at the Barnes & Nobles catty-cornered from the Borders here…Borders was a joke. Shelves with empty spaces in them, stock carelessly flung about, barely anyone on the floor. I’d moved on from B&N by the time the Borders closed. Then, a month later…so did the Barnes and Noble. I yelled at the TV when I saw the news. "You morons! You’d won! "

The hilarious part was the local news VoxPop bit with some Area Woman lamenting the loss of “character” on State Street, while looking very much like the same sort of person who would’ve gnashed their teeth at the chain bookstores moving in a decade or so earlier.

End result? No bookstores at all on the main commercial drag in town.

Good job, everyone!

4 Likes

I can’t tell the difference.
Aldi Süd:

Aldi Nord:

However, they are both obviously different from Edeka: