Why are videogame communities so consistently toxic?

Sure. One could always move both the reporter and the reported to new servers. driving trollies would only have the effect of them eventually quarantining themselves.

Sort of, but there is a biiig difference between NFL and NBA. This points to the difference that cultural influences within the sport make, which would be analogous to my “Slime Rancher versus Counter-Strike” example. The design & culture of the game itself profoundly affects the community in so many ways.

Incorrect, you can mute this topic just fine. Try it if you don’t believe me. I’m not sure why this misinformation keeps getting repeated, but it needs to stop. Thanks!

Well yeah this is what I’m getting at. Really aggressive competitive sports tend to cause this, as pointed out in one of my absolute all time favorite comedy bits

How do I get through to you boys that football isn’t about rape?

It’s about violently dominating anyone that stands between you and what you want.

You gotta get yourself into the mindset that you are gods, and you are entitled to this!

The other team ain’t just going to just lay down and give it to you! You’ve got to go out there and take it!

… which brings me to violent, competitive videogames where you play as gods.

One thing that’s frustrating to me in Battlefield 5 is that they have a Q*Bert filter that converts naughty chat words like “fuck” into $%^& which I think is called a “grawlix” … but guess what happens when you type common racist terms in? Sigh. Nothing. So painful, and that is such a tiny, easy thing to do.

Another mechanical thing, same game, that’s super frustrating. Reporting bad behavior, from “clearly cheating” to “blatantly awful racism” is about 10 clicks involving bringing up a special overlay, manually typing in the username, waiting for that web UI to load, selecting a drop-down at the upper right… it’s unbelievable the amount of effort it takes to report anything and that is just dumb. Even if you didn’t care at all about racism, which is morally bankrupt, SURELY you care about cheating and the same mechanics can carry forward under the banner of preventing cheating…

I dunno, Fortnite is hella inclusive and always has been even before they glommed on to the Battle Royale cash machine. Even that kinda meh “Save the World” mode that existed before had amazing, racially diverse, shape diverse characters to choose from with stellar art and not one tiny bit exploitative like ugh League of Legends.

Honestly from an art and style and tone perspective Fortnite the game is basically a perfect model of an inclusive all genders all ages all backgrounds fun game. And yet… and yet… there was not one single woman competing at this year’s Fortnite World Cup.

That bothered me. Especially since I almost don’t know how you could do it better than Fortnite in terms of inclusive visuals, being “fun” instead of aggro competitive, and running (with cross-device play!) on every platform out there.

As far as in-game communication goes, Riot found (unsurprisingly) that turning off cross-team chat had a huge effect. That makes sense, right? You trash talk the opposing team. But they still have big problems with negativity expressed toward teammates in intra-team chat, which I can… also kinda understand. One reason I don’t like 5 v 5 games is that at any competitive level beyond “who cares”, having one person perform very poorly (or not even poorly but at a much lower “amateur” level than everyone else) on your team can literally determine the game outcome every. single. time. So this kind of tension is built into the game model, whereas in a 64 player game if you have 3 players doing basically nothing on each team, statistically it’s no big deal.

The solution is to turn off chat (obviously including voice chat) altogether, and only allow people to use predefined emotes and callouts that don’t offer anything negative. This works much better.

Now, that does indeed make misbehavior much harder, but humans will always find a way…

http://habitatchronicles.com/2007/03/the-untold-history-of-toontowns-speedchat-or-blockchattm-from-disney-finally-arrives/

“We spent several weeks building a UI that used pop-downs to construct sentences, and only had completely harmless words – the standard parts of grammar and safe nouns like cars, animals, and objects in the world.”

"We thought it was the perfect solution, until we set our first 14-year old boy down in front of it. Within minutes he’d created the following sentence:

I want to stick my long-necked Giraffe up your fluffy white bunny.

Or, more accurately stated, 14 year old boys will always find a way to grief you.

Not directly, no. But there has been a lot of talk about how the problem is specifically men. And while a lot of the time that may be true, for various reasons, I think there’s some danger of focusing on the “men” part of “toxic men”.

(To get even more tangential, many of the people I follow on tumblr are part of the various queer communities on that site, and one thing I’ve noticed is that there are a surprising number of young gay, lesbian, trans etc. people who end up in abusive relationships because they’ve so internalized the idea that straight people are the abusers, that they don’t look out for, or be prepared to deal with, abusive behavior from fellow queer folks.)

Anyway, my point was that while in this specific case, the toxicity in video game community comes mostly from men, it’s not axiomatic always and everywhere, and that people should be aware of abuse and toxic behavior coming from women, or PoCs, or queer folks too.

2 Likes

The problem is toxic masculinity and patriarchal power structures. The behaviors that it encourages can also be engaged in by people who are not white, straight men, yes. No one said otherwise.

16 Likes

My pet theory is that gamer as an identity has been cultivated to be nominally white, male, and a certain age range. Marketing in this regard made the gamer one kind of thing too, those who play anything but the most popular PC or console titles aren’t “real gamers” as marketing spiel would imply or just outright say it. So the rest of us who’ve been playing MUDs, CRPGs (western and their Japanese variants), and anything by Nintendo are just “casuals” or otherwise “non-gamers.” Now, how does that work itself into being so toxic? Well identity has boundaries and if you cross boundaries there’s bound to be someone who will police them. I’ve seen this not only on 4chan but on web forums well before 4chan existed. This persists for years to present and other groups such as fascists found a way to use this to their advantage. Thus, gamers are or are becoming synonymous with anti-social, violent, and fascistic behaviors.

5 Likes

Yes you can, and should say something. But that can’t replace actual moderation.

Or revenge. A Destiny clan I am in went through an edgy name or two, “You’ve got Harpies” was one. I forget the others, but nothing too bad.

Nobody cared until the periodic competitive PVP stuff came around. We’d get flagged for the clan name after we won a few consecutive matches, and the clan name would revert to its numeric ID.

3 Likes

No of course not. Giving a platform for people to be shitty on wouldn’t be a problem if there weren’t shitty people. But if you’re making a buck by giving people an unrestricted space to be awful in, you’re contributing to the problem, and so one facet of helping the problem would be if we could… you know, stop doing that. I’m not trying to say all the world’s evils are capitalism. More like all the world’s evils are a complex interaction of shitty things, and we shouldn’t ignore this shitty thing just because there’s other shitty things we shouldn’t be ignoring also.

That being said, I’m going to revise my statement, because you are, in general, correct, and I can feel myself starting to creep away from my original point, which maybe wasn’t clear enough.

I don’t think this response is a great take on this specific problem. Saying “Just say to that person, ‘stop doing that’” is not a good response to this issue. You should tell them to stop, but having an easy to use reporting system, as well as a team who cares enough to actual ban people who violate the community standards, is important. It may not have been your intent, but I felt like your reply somewhat glibly ignored what I see a very reasonable complaint about a needlessly broken system, and instead implied that the original poster shouldn’t be concerned or annoyed about the difficulty in reporting bad actors, because they should just call them out instead, and hence why I found it objectionable enough to be worth commenting on. That may have been the furthest thing from your mind, I don’t know. Broadly though, I think you are correct, and that nothing is going to get solved without active and consistent contribution by men to make things less shitty.

Also the board’s automated systems are yelling at me for having too much back and forth with a single user, so I should probably stop here.

1 Like

I have and that doesn’t work. Then they argue with you, etc and bring more attention to it, often doubling and tripling down in the process. Try it yourself in these games if you don’t believe me. (I also think violent, competitive games implicitly encourage people to argue by the nature of the game, so that is part of it as well)

The only thing that works is reporting it, so there are (at least in theory) consequences.

Alternately, do away with chat altogether, and allow only predefined emotes — which I think is the better solution.

This is a distinct topic, and it can be muted regardless of who started it. If you need permanent global post suppression across all topics, there are browser extensions to inject CSS you can use to do so; feel free to take advantage of them. Here’s the tiny bit of CSS you would need

.topic-post article[data-user-id="1234"] .topic-body {
  max-height: 70px;
  opacity: 0.2;
}

1 Like

That’s fair, though I think my words have been distorted into “you said don’t ever address racism when you see it in text chat”. I did not say that. I’ve found in the types of (admittedly hyper-violent, aggressive) games I like to play, addressing it in text chat does not work in practice – they are far more likely to double and triple down because they know there are no consequences.

Therefore, I think it’s smart to focus on making the reporting tools easy to use and accessible, which can be a “yes, and…” improvement.

Nobody is saying don’t try, though I believe it’s a good idea to think the entire scenario through across thousands or millions of players and games. In my experience, what systems can be made to work is a more useful structural question than what can I do, personally.

That’s intentional, though. The idea is to target the subset of the problem that’s easier to achieve. Not grawlix-ing clearly racist terms in chat, and having readily accessible reporting and moderation tools are crazily simple to solve compared to “fix toxic masculinity everywhere in the world”.

On top of that, it’s much easier to hold people accountable when an easy path wasn’t taken. If I said to these developers “why haven’t you grawlix-ed these racist terms in addition to curse words” or “why haven’t you made it two clicks to report a racist player instead of twelve” that’s a clearer, simpler call to action which implies more missed opportunities for actually doing something than if I said to them “why haven’t you fixed toxic masculinity?”

2 Likes

Let me add a personal anecdote.

I mentioned in another topic that I briefly played Call of Duty: Blackout (their battle royale thing) which has always-active voice chat. And you sorta need voice chat to do well in it because it requires pretty good squad communication to even survive, much less win. I was already apprehensive because… voice chat… random players… call of duty… not exactly a winning, risk-free combo in terms of interacting with other human beings.

It actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, which sort of surprised me. I mean I am voice chatting with random people, overwhelmingly dudes of course (I think there was a female player in the squad maybe once across a few dozen games), and it’s … y’know… Call of Duty. However, the (maybe two?) times when it got bad … it got really bad.

In one random squad match, at one point this guy sounded like he was smoking, so another player asked him what kind of weed he was smoking … a conversation about “smoking these trees” ensued. I am a super square person when it comes to drugs so I had nothing to add, but it’s fine, I don’t care. Anyways, after a minute or two, something went kiiiiinda south in that branch of the conversation to the point that the one guy said the N-word to the other guy. I think it was about song lyrics and weed? It wasn’t necessarily a namecalling thing.

The other guy didn’t like that, so he pushed back – not in an aggro way but something like “yo, you’re gonna have problems if you start using language like that”. Well, the other guy immediately – and I mean immediately – escalated to the point that he was … ok maybe not shouting… but definitely chanting at a higher than usual volume … the N word, over and over.

At that point I disconnected from the game. I think I alt-f4’ed out I was so … uh… desirous of leaving.

I feel a little bad about this because immediately after disconnecting, I realized I wanted to speak up (and should have spoke up) and say “what you’re doing is not OK” to defend that person and also reinforce that saying this kind of crap to another person isn’t acceptable. But at the time… sitting on a voice chat with this guy just saying it over and over and over – again not quite yelling but definitely at a higher volume than normal speech – I seized up and wanted the hell out of that whole situation ASAP.

Now, what would you have done in my shoes?

It’s one thing to describe it, it’s another to be sitting there, essentially minding your own business, and then in the heat of the moment with people aggressively arguing, clearly on the verge of yelling at each other, decide what to do.

I don’t play that game any more, obviously, I quit shortly after that incident. I guess if that happened daily I’d certainly have more “armor” for dealing with it and would have been better equipped to speak up. But it’s also super unlikely I would continue to play a game where stuff like that happened with any regularity.

Sadly, I’m not sure I reported that player after the game because I didn’t know how.

This also reminds me an important part of reporting tools is not just “can you find the reporting tools”, but also offering a quick menu of “you last played with these players” that you can send a report on – ideally with predefined templates for common misbehavior and problems. Imagine if, after this, you had to remember the player names in your randomly matched 4 player squad like 420forevakill3r or whatever. (Also, who was speaking? It would be horrible to report the wrong player in this case!)

Ideally the end of match screen would present a “report” button with these kinds of convenience functions. Not sure it would have helped in my specific case since I exited all the way out of the game, but it’s absolutely the right thing to do if you want people to report misbehavior and offer a systemic solution. I mean… assuming they follow up on the reports, which is an open question too…

3 Likes

I’d argue that asking what a person would do in a given situation is exactly the same excercise as just passively describing it.

But you know, every second of every day you have the chance to choose something else than you had in the past. None of your choices in that situation were wrong, but they also weren’t the only possibilities. Maybe if you had kept playing you would have found out how to report. I’ve done it before and will surely do it again, because I play with my family and I have an interest in changing the culture. I have been threatened, insulted, and made to feel like shit. It sucks, but I like games. I’m not going anywhere.

If you or someone else aren’t motivated in the same way, that’s your business. But you don’t chsnge things by waiting around for someone else to do it.

9 Likes

That’s not an accurate statement for me – I’m interested in improving the systems most of all, because I believe that’s the most effective and realistic way to achieve systemic, large-scale change.

(I’ve recently been convinced that violent, aggressive videogames are themselves part of this systemic problem, though, and that’d be part of the “improving the systems”. Less violent, less overtly competitive games, more cooperation + building.)

Discourse, in its way, is a manifestation of that desire, but completely outside the videogaming sphere. How many clicks is it to report misbehavior here? How difficult is it to find the reporting function? How do you know if anyone saw or followed up on your report? What tools does the community have to address misbehavior?

1 Like

Perhaps there is more peace to be found in single player games, or in games wher one is given very few tools to generate a multiplayer community.

1 Like

I think it’s absolutely within our purview to ask that tools be provided, and raise the standard of tools provided across the entire ecosystem.

Furthermore I’d say this is the most effective place to invest your effort as it helps the most people, and raises the standard for all future games.

In the same way that “hey Fortnite, why don’t you have player reboot stations like Apex Legends” is a valid request, so is “hey Call of Duty, why don’t you have easily accessible after-match reporting tools pre-filled with squad player names like Fortnite does”. And that’s so much easier to take action on, it’s a very specific and clearly defined thing that even has precedent in other similar titles, etc.

Compare with “why haven’t you fixed toxic masculinity yet?” Er… uh… I dunno? I’ll try harder I guess? :man_shrugging:

“remove all voice and text chat, replace with predefined emotes” is a better path IMO. Still doesn’t stop players from doing stuff like building giant dongs out of minecraft blocks, or swastikas out of walls in fortnite, of course…

2 Likes

Doing the right thing is rarely easy. Making a better world is rarely easy. History shows us that change does not happen, it’s made. The arc of history must be BENT towards justice, and you can either be part of that or not. That’s your choice.

Well, then you actually ARE ignoring it. Change is not just made from the top down.

Once again, history shows us that change is made from below most effectively. If we don’t fully purge our society from the ground up of these ills, they will persist. They HAVE persisted. We have actually evidence of this. The civil rights bills of the 60s did not end racism. Legislation supportive of women’s rights did not end misogyny. Legalizing gay marriage did not end homophobia.

This is not about me, since I tend to not issue rape and death threats to people while online… but yes, I suppose me being a loud mouth bitch is as much of a problem as people who do that. I might make a man have a sad… I would respond by asking what I did to give offense, and apologize if I felt it necessary. Which I’ve done here on the BBS before. Sometimes the person taking offense is simply pissed that I’m “boorish and self-righteous” because I refuse to shut up and let the men speak. They’ll have to live with that, I guess, because I have every single right to be here as anyone else.

14 Likes

Mod note:

I’ve removed a bunch of inflammatory or combative posts from this topic. Apologies if your reasoned responses were lost as a result.

1. If you cannot post within the community guidelines, do not post. We have zero tolerance towards attacking other members here.

2. You are setting yourself up for failure if you cannot accept that some people on the internet are going to disagree with you.

1 Like

And I would counter that individual vigilantism is no more realistic than expecting a bunch of individuals to play Batman and suplex the bad guys into submission.

You need systemic solutions to systemic problems.

Absolutely nobody is talking about legislation here, to be clear. We’re talking about behavior reporting tools in software that are easily accessible, convenient to use, and actually result in people being held accountable for their racist, sexist, bigoted actions — across dozens or thousands of online games.

You can look up what AirBnB did as an example…

… or you could ask why the individual AirBnB users did not use all avenues of contact (email, Facebook, Airbnb messaging) to directly argue with the racists who cancelled their reservations and convince them that they should no longer be racists. Is that their job?

Furthermore, does arguing even work? When was the last time anyone argued with a bigot such that the bigot eventually said, “you know, you’re right, you’ve convinced me bigotry is unacceptable and I’ll stop being a bigot.”

In the absence of meaningful in-game consequences, I can’t see anything working. And sadly Trump has normalized so much of this now that consequences basically have to exist. Expressing outrage no longer works, because the president does it with zero consequences already… doesn’t he?

1 Like

Which is not what I was suggesting, and you know that. Don’t put words in my mouth that you know I did not mean.

In a democracy, that includes the actions of individuals, who are the ones who make change from the bottom up and demand action from the top down. History tells us that it’s not an either-or kind of thing, but rather works in tandem. Systems don’t change until the people in them work for it, and demand it.

Telling someone you’re playing a game with not to issue death and rape threats or to throw around slurs isn’t an argument. It’s you letting someone know that what they’re doing isn’t acceptable. No one is asking you to completely transform a person’s world views, but people will act different if they understand that their behavior isn’t acceptable, and if you (or me, or whoever) stays silent, they won’t understand that.

I’m saying that individuals be part of that. If the person continues that kind of behavior, then you stop playing with them.

And again, I have not said that moderation shouldn’t be part of this, but rather that if you’re waiting around for an authority figure to make your social space safe for everyone, then that’s the opposite of helping to solve the problem. If you don’t think you’re responsible for your social spaces and act accordingly, then you’re going to have shitty social spaces. It’s taking responsibility for what is partly yours, ensuring the safety and welfare of your friends. That’s precisely what many of us do here, on a daily basis, we don’t just wait for @orenwolf to do it all. He’s an important part of keeping this a safe space, but it’s not only his responsibility to do so.

12 Likes