Why Are Witches Green?

My favorite witch is scarlet.

Ever see the set for the black-and-white TV series The Munsters?

I mean, itā€™s The Munsters, so ā€œweird and out-of-placeā€ are kind of what we should expect, but my god I had no idea.

1 Like

Well, at least they finally unionized:
ā€¦an organised union of traditional healers, juju practitioners, and other varied mystics and mediums calling itself the Association of Nigerian Witches and Wizards (or WIZTAN) caught local headlines by boldly predicting that, before the yearā€™s end, Boko Haramā€™s leader, Abubakar Shekau, would be captured and paraded through the region. They offered their self-avowedly substantial powers to help make that a reality.

1 Like

Completely off-topic now, is the official line on Scarlet Witch that sheā€™s a mutant whose mutant power is being a wizard? I never really got how that worked.

Excactly. The Witch will stay with you for a long time after the movie, but the rest of the Winkies just sorta slide by.

BTW: I realize that they designed the witch first and then based the look for the other winkies on her, but still, can you imagine what might have followed if the movie people had written the witch as, say, a munchkin instead of a winkie?
Then everybody who wanted to be a witch for Halloween today would also dress up as a little person with weird hair. :wink:

As far as I can tell her mutant powers and magic are completely tangled and thereā€™s no separating them. So her mutant power is control over probability / warping reality. Dr. Strange claims what she does isnā€™t magic at all, but 100% mutant power; other characters who are magicians have claimed itā€™s magic.

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe she and her brother arenā€™t mutants but Hydra experimental subjects (though I guess thereā€™s room for them to be Inhumans, hmm) but magic might play a role. I assume if she ever shows up in the Fox X-Men movies, itā€™ll be 100% mutant power without magic.

Maybe even more so than Jean Grey, sheā€™s kind of a crazy character to pin down and there are multiple timelines and retcons crashing into each other.

1 Like

I tellya, if I were still of trick-or-treating age, Iā€™d totally wanna rock a Winkie costume:

But man, that would be an ambitious build. And I suspect Iā€™d have to go around kneeling and saying ā€œHail Dorothy! The Wicked Witch is dead!ā€ in a weird accent for people to recognize me.

2 Likes

It would make for a great group costume.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always loved that little ditty. Was tickled to find it show up in a Metallica song.

1 Like

A page on early movie makeup
Interesting, if true. Some of these techniques,particularly the glass topped sets, can be seen in Hugo. I donā€™t recall seeing the odd face colorations, though.

1 Like

Pretty sure thats the Addams Family set. Thats Morticiaā€™s chair in the bottom corner.

3 Likes

And Television makeup was even stranger

1 Like

ā€œIn America, roughly 21 percent of the population believe that witches ā€“ of the supernatural, broom-riding, possibly green-faced persuasion, not the Wiccan ā€“ existā€

I propose those same 21 percent have no clue thereā€™s a difference.

2 Likes

Even among the Witch Public, there is not much consensus over these alleged differences. It mostly comes down to the green angle.

Why are witches green? Because the warlocks have hallow-weenies!

Wait, I think I mixed up two jokes.

I think the weird green make-up was for TV. The old TV tubes used to be sensitive to red light and not to blue. If you want the same effect, try looking at the red channel of an image. Red lips appear white and red highlights on the cheeks do not appear at all. You had to us something that made the skin darker. Black or grey would have done but green worked too. Seeā€¦

http://www.cosmeticsandskin.com/aba/max-and-the-tube.php

Black and white film was the other way around - orthochromatic film was sensitive to blue and green light, and it took a lot of work to extend the sensitivity to red in panchromatic film. Typically the later black and white films would have been shot with filters on the camera - nothing at dawn and sunset, and going through yellow to a deep orange-red for noon in order to get the right colour balance. However, the black and white images of a face have the right contrasts with the lips looking dark, so little make-up was needed. Most of the black-and-white Pathe News reporting was done without make-up, and people looked fine.

Hereā€™s what the technicolor process would have usedā€¦

http://www.digital-intermediate.co.uk/examples/3strip/technicolor.htm

They had to balance the lighting so the red and blue exposures on the bipack film, and the green exposure of the other film were in the same place on the three film exposure curves. If you did not do this, then your colour space ended up twisted, with coloured highlights and shadows. This was very hard to correct, so they tended to RGB-balance every shot.

1 Like

The books donā€™t say the Winkies look like Spike Milligan, eitherā€¦

3 Likes

Get a group together!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.