Why arguing with a bus driver is a bad idea

FYI there is English subtitles if you turn on closed captioning.

You have just shattered the one truth I have been holding on to for my entire life!! :wink:

1 Like

That’s irony, right? In the light of CIA torture, police violence etc it has to be irony …

1 Like

The rule of secret laws trumps the rule of normal laws.

2 Likes

Try having a dispute with a cop and tell me how that works out for you champ. Unless catches the cop blatantly violating the law on camera, you stand exactly zero chance of justice, even if there are a dozen other cops around watching. Hell, even if they catch it on camera your chance for justice is pretty minimal.

The US is not so bad. Rule of law works most of the time, but don’t fool yourself into thinking that it works on all classes of people.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s a pretty thick chilean accent. Damn, we argentinians and them have absolutely gutted the language. Ha!

2 Likes

I am a spanish speaker and I need subtittles to understand chileans most of the time

3 Likes

The Romans used to say: “De omnibus non est disputandum.”

That’s “Don’t get into a fight with the bus driver.”

6 Likes

You neglect the fact that most of the cops will treat you right and respectfully. Of course, there are exceptions, but then if you add this parameter for comparison with 3rd world countries, the US still wins by far.

When you have to use the phrase “3rd world countries” in comparison to make the U.S. look OK, you’ve already lost.

And I have the sneaking suspicion that you’re assuming that LEOs in non-industrialized countries are more violent and corrupt. Personally I have not found that to be the case, and according to statistics and media reports it does not appear that any country not in the midst of a civil war has the issue of LEOs killing unarmed citizens to the extent that we do.

4 Likes

Brazil, maybe? (Not remembering the actual per capita numbers so I can be wrong.)

Still, a rather lousy comparison to be the second to.

2 Likes

They’re pretty brutal at 2000 deaths a year (Amnesty International’s numbers), but I think it’s street kids the Brazilian cops have a particular downer on. :frowning:

But hey, at least we have a body count for Brazil. The US doesn’t even bother to record how many the police gun down …

3 Likes

From your link;

The state security secretary, seemingly unable to bring a halt to the violence, was replaced. His successor quietly brought in a new, and at first sight surprising, policy: he forbade police from providing first aid at the scene of shootings. Though he did not come out and say it, the reasoning was simple—and depressing. Such “first aid” is often in reality interference with the scene of a murder by police in order to cover up a crime—or indeed an opportunity to commit that murder on the way to the hospital, where the police can hand over a dead body and lie about the circumstances in which they found it. In the following months the rate at which the state’s police killed in the line of duty fell by two-fifths. As the latest horrible killing in Rio shows, that policy needs to be taken nationwide.

Damn.

2 Likes

The other day I tried to argue with a 74HC245. Bad idea, it was of no use, the chip ignored me.

3 Likes

I am Brazilian and know what I am talking about. Don’t focus on the terminology used. I’ve been stopped by the police for trivial driving violations in the US and in Brazil. I never feared for my safety in the US, but did in Brazil.

Without hard statistics to back it up, I’d say police in Cameroon, India and Myanmar are more violent and corrupt, although the last one may be considered as a country with localised civil wars based on the extent of the brutality against certain minority groups. I don’t think police (or civilians) are as armed in those places though, which probably lowers the number of firearm deaths.

When you have to use the phrase “3rd world countries” in comparison to make the U.S. look OK, you’ve already lost.

True.

1 Like

If you never feared for your safety in the US that’s due to ignorance. Does every tourist visiting Brazil think they should fear your police? Probably not, because they don’t know your country as well as they know their own. Same difference.

2 Likes

They’re from Peru. The people filming are complaining that the bus driver hit their car. The bus driver gets upset and points that the car was damaged already and the guy filming said:
Yeah, and you damaged it even more.

The bus driver kept on saying: motherfucker, get out of the way. You’re gonna lose. You’re gonna lose I’m bigger than you.

Then someone breaks his window and shit goes all out
At the end you can hear the car owners friend say:
Daaaaamn man…God damn it.

2 Likes

You are assuming I’ve only visited the US occasionally and as a tourist.
What bothers me really is all this self-bashing from Americans who think they are on the verge of chaos, when they actually live on a very advanced society when compared to, yes, third world countries.
I am not saying you should not be vigilant with police behavior, but any comparison to police brutality in Brazil is orders of magnitude off. I can only assume you have absolutely no idea of what happens over there.

1 Like

The cool thing about America is there is also a whole system of “Secret Laws” so you can go into a police station and say “I’d like a Spicy Green Unlawful Assembly 4x4 Animal Style” and they’re totally down with that.

4 Likes