Why Circuit City abandoned its 700 stores

Well abandoned is not really the right word here, you’re using it because you are a mammal and think like a mammal, but Circuit City is a reptile and I don’t think it’s right to apply mammalian type of nurturing roles to a reptile. Circuit City spawned its 700 stores and then left them to fend for themselves in the brutal contest that we call life, that’s the reptilian way.

4 Likes

I was referring to an old expression sometimes now used for putting away ill gotten gains in tax havens, i.e. “salting away”.

1 Like

Yeah, I was just riffing on how CEOs do business!

1 Like

The big-money executives and investors seem to know the damage they are doing. They just want to get theirs so that they can retire to some tropical paradise when the effluvia hits the air impeller.

3 Likes

I guess this is why they get so worried every time tropical paradises look like they might go a bit Marxist.

3 Likes

Of course not. You have to ask if they want the replacement plan with that!

3 Likes

That, plus they like having cheap vacation getaways in the meantime. And potential labor pools and/or tax havens. It is easier and cheaper to bribe a ruthless dictator than it is to bribe an entire nation.

2 Likes

“Hey, look, I know business! I’ve run loads of businesses and every one has eventually failed! There’s nothing you can do to stop it! Just run it to generate the biggest bonus you can get, and then walk away when it inevitably falls apart! That’s business! I know business! I’ve been CEO for a string of large corporations!”

3 Likes

I miss this place.

1 Like

You seem to have left your They Live! filter on your camera there. What was the place called to unfiltered eyes?

3 Likes

Nerd Herd 4 Life!

1 Like

True story: We got a new best buy a few years ago - 10, maybe. Last year, they built a new one and moved. You know where they built it? Literally right next door. I mean in the very next lot.

3 Likes

I actually really like Carmax… we got our last 2 cars from them.

2 Likes

That’s not a new store, it is just that the old one has sloughed its skin.

1 Like

Good one!

I think the old building is a church now…

1 Like

“Best Pray”? That would save on getting the sign remade.

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to be working well at the moment for the US government, though.

1 Like

The closest CC to me is now a very nice liquor store, so I’d call that a win. Of course decades ago, the spot was a drive in movie theater, so not a complete win.

1 Like

The nearest one to me is a baby supply store, which I now have no use for. A liquor store would have been nice…

All goes back to the change from Personnel (people) to Human Resources (cattle)

1 Like