Why did this $20 bill sell for $396,000? Because a  Del Monte sticker got stuck on the paper before it was printed

Originally published at: Why did this $20 bill sell for $396,000? Because a  Del Monte sticker got stuck on the paper before it was printed | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Just look at it!

26 Likes

That’s small bananas. Here’s a real misprint.

19 Likes

The man from Del Monte, he says “Numismatic NERDS!!!” :hugs:

5 Likes

4011… I know that number from years of doing self check-out. Bananas!

11 Likes

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me.

7 Likes

Just look at it!

6 Likes

Just waiting for one of those awful Paul brothers to buy this and then do a video of them putting it into a vending machine for the lulz.

4 Likes

That’s bananas!

4 Likes

Just more proof that priorities are so screwed up that someone would buy this instead of helping someone.

Of course we have no idea what this person does with the rest of their money but here is $396,000 that could have been spent on something that would make a difference.

5 Likes

On January 6, 2006, the note was auctioned for US$25,300 by Heritage Auctions of Dallas, Texas. The note was certified by Paper Money Guaranty in 2020. On January 22, 2021, Heritage Auctions auctioned the note for $396,000,

This is “why”. Heritage auctions is notorious for creating hype and pumping up collectables values. Too much of it is speculators hoping to flip things in the future.

9 Likes

I’ve been binging con game movies lately so naturally my first two questions are is it legal to forge misprinted money (probably not) and is it easier to forge misprinted money (hmmm).

4 Likes

Less stupid than an NFT, at least.

7 Likes

Definitely true for garbage like penis rockets and mega yachts. But there is some hope though that the person on the receiving end of $396K could put the money to good use.

(not holding my breath!)

5 Likes

I mean, it’s one banana, what could it cost? Three hundred ninety-six thousand dollars? :woman_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

Imagine going into some small town or area and filling the empty bellies of kids or old folks with that amount of money. Or put your little treasured Banana bill in a dedicated container looked away out of sight but content knowing only You own it. All about personal values I guess.

2 Likes

Sounds kinda familiar…

J6DRXQ2VS5ALJOYTAXKZXFVLSM

6 Likes

When I was younger I collected Indian Head Cents, but always liked errors and other interesting rarities. My fav was the 1955 double die, but another interesting one wasn’t an error, but a sort of counterfeit. Forget the exact year, but sometime in the 1800s the $5 gold coin was similar in size and style to the 5 cent coin, with both having a large V on one side. The biggest difference being one was gold and the other nickel (silver looking). Enterprising young men with some knowledge would “gold plate” the nickels and pass them off as $5 coins. I’m sure any remaining are very rare, and I’m sure worth more than what a real $5 gold coin goes for.

4 Likes

Richard Pryor in Bruster’s Millions bought one and used it to mail a postcard, instantly turning it from a stamp worth $100K (at the time) to maybe a $2K - $3K canceled stamp.

5 Likes

So the worker in the printing room of the mint was having lunch one day…

2 Likes