Why did this cop smash this woman in the face during the Arizona "riot"?

I wasn’t shouting; I’m just too lazy to utilize proper formatting. No need to condensed.

I still don’t think you know the difference between fact and opinion, but hey.

“Institutions are made up of individuals”

Nice exemplification of the atomistic fallacy: no individual cop (thug or awesome) has an institutional policy of police as first responder to mental health crisis: that is a precinct, department or commission-level institutional policy. Directing attention to the behavior (good or bad) of individual cops, and ignoring the processes by which agency-level policies are made is a strategy custom-built to preserve the status quo.

4 Likes

my favorite telling of this parable

1 Like

How are they claiming copyright over a student’s phone-vid that she very likely uploaded to Youtube herself?

1 Like

I’m sure that somewhere in that video there’s a brief glimpse of part of someone’s T-shirt [1] with a copyrighted image on it. If you use enough maginification you can see it.

[1] Yeah, seriously – this is Arizona in March. I’ve been running the cooler for weeks.

1 Like

Unfortunately responding in kind would only serve to validate their tactics (“See what kind of lethal threats we’re faced with?”) and cause the police to escalate them.

A better approach: Constant ad-hoc civilian oversight in the form of videos like this, which will cause outcry for real disciplinary action and prosecution; and hitting them in their bank accounts — personally, not just the taxpayer-supplied department fund.

1 Like

Seconded. Redneck states gonna redneck.

Someday soon a riot is gonna stomp a cop to death if this continues unchecked.

… the Arizona legislature to pass laws making it a felony to record police in the pursuit of their duties.

4 Likes

Who said anything about shooting police officers? I didn’t.

I guess thats why the video is still up… or not…

Wake up, mate. Life isn’t always written on paper.

I’m advocating it.

One hopes it wont go that far.

Like Zed I happen to think it will take that for cops to realise they should behave like humans. Nothing has changed, despite countless situations like this being filmed.

GMAFB. Ever hear of Kent State?

Hardly comparable to today’s world with instant share-ability and inexpensive recording devices.

And you think that’s the probable outcome of the process instead of increased polarization, with the Forces of Law and Order having the guns, armor, surveillance, courts, prisons, and motivation to use them all?

Been there, done that. We Boomers were going to bring the Age of Aquarius. How’s that working for ya?

People need reasons to do things. Personal benefits or potential negative personal outcomes are just about the only reasons people will do things. Since the system itself seems impossibly shithouse at dealing with police abuses, what impetus do the cops have to change? Either the system needs to learn to punish the fuck out of cops (yeah… that’s gonna happen), or cops need to learn that their physical safety is not guaranteed.

1 Like

I know of no military enlisted that would voluntarily be involved with any civil, dispute on American soil.

I do know one who was dishonorably discharged and court marshaled friend, I grew up with, who would not plan flights of such demise over American soil.

My point is laws may be laws, but people will chose which principle to guide them through life. My friend just got done serving time for a principle rule; posse comitatus is, and always be a part of any military man - with respect.

And, by the way you should stop wearing top hats. It gives you away to easily.

Whether or not this is departmental policy – that guy personally needs to unexpectedly meet Terry Tate: Office Linebacker some morning when he opens his front door, and see how it feels.

1 Like

Pigs gonna pig.

2 Likes