Why do Checkers and Rally's have different names?

Yes, they had one in Austin when I was living there. IIRC, it was called Party Barn.

What I’d like to see though is one of those big supermarkets operating in the manner of an IKEA of sorts (no, not flat-pack food). People can shop online, pay online if they wish, go up to a drive-up station and swap out empty bags or crates for their full ones, and pay if they haven’t already.

1 Like

No, but they are likely from someplace where pizza at local shops was always better than Pizza Hut. Admittedly when I moved to update NY I felt Pizza Hut was better than most of the thin square pizza you could get locally. But at home in the vicinity of Brooklyn and Queens I’d never touch the stuff.

1 Like

I also happen to be one of the folks who lived in Kansas during their heyday, so I can assert that it was very good pizza in the 70s. When they started to franchise, it all went downhill.

4 Likes

Well I’ll assert that in the late 70’s it was mediocre compared to my local pizza.

1 Like

And I’ll assert — still leagues better than the concoction they decided to sell after being acquired by PepsiCo.

IIRC, this is about the time when fast food in general really went downhill with the introduction of “bucket meat” and similar time-saving methods used by the big fast food chains.

2 Likes

Look - Pizza Hut began franchising a couple of decades before Pepsi bought them. It was mediocre before that happened, and whether it got worse - I don’t know because I was done with it by the time they changed their recipes.

“Not mediocre” (decent in a general sense) does not have to be “the best”, but in a relative sense, it’s much better than crap. And perhaps I was in a better situation because I was closer to the source restaurant. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

If there is one thing that life has taught me its that there is no single truth, certainly not in pizza.

3 Likes

Yet Brooklyn/Queens pizza is the best…

season 1 facebook watch GIF by Sorry For Your Loss

1 Like

indeed, thats my truth. Thats how that works.

All I said is there was a time when Pizza Hut was not mediocre…

Speak Your Truth GIF by Strays

3 Likes

I think it’s more that the standards move.

Once upon a time, Pizza Hut was the best pizza… available.

Here in Melbourne, the standards of what constitures “good” pizza changed when Toto’s opened, and the Italian community started opening restaurants.

I think it’s like how Starbucks is good coffee right up until you go to a place with a coffee culture and you are exposed to good coffee.

1 Like

I get it, but I wasn’t even claiming it was the best. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

You call that a pie?

This is a pie.

Deep Dish Pizza GIF

10 Likes

Could use some more sauce on that

4 Likes

Maybe some Checkers’ fries? /s

Warning: These are not Checkers’ fries.

7 Likes

Oh, now you’ve done it:
Jon Stewart’s Pizza Rant

Back on topic, I haven’t been to a Checkers in decades. They opened one relatively close [which is more remote: the Boondocks or the Sticks?] but haven’t been there. I guess a visit is needed, just to find out…
Anyway, I prefer tacos over burgers. And pizza.

1 Like

AFAIAC there is no crappy Mexican food

3 Likes

I think Bucket Meat is my new band name.

4 Likes

There’s a group of similar ones around where I grew up.

Owing to size of the buildings they are more drive through convenience stores than grocery stores.

Look fairly identical to the Farm Stores in terms of products offered.

Similar to the Rally/Checkers buildings when they close the buildings are difficult to repurpose, in part because of the complete lack of parking.

Most that have closed have simply been bulldozed and replaced. A couple have been used as drive throughs of various sorts, a couple as discount cigarette stores on one of the local Indian reservations.

Many, maybe most due to COVID, already do this. For curbside or in store pickup. Though they’re not neccisarily built around the idea.

2 Likes