Why do cosmonauts piss on a wheel of the bus transporting them to the launch pad?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/08/why-do-cosmonauts-piss-on-a-wh.html

5 Likes

Now that is a tradition.

14 Likes

Going to the bathroom right before a long trip just makes sense.

27 Likes

Gotta do the safety pee, even if you don’t have to go.

9 Likes

I read somewhere that british crews of night bombers during WWII did something similar, before going for a mission.

1 Like

Opened the article looking for how female cosmonauts dealt with this tradition, was not disappointed.

11 Likes

There’s a common phrase from a popular song about Gagarin:

Он сказал: «Поехали!»
Он взмахнул рукой.

“He said ‘Let’s Go!’
and waved his hand.”

Naturally, Russians being who they are, there are many parody versions; my favorite is “Он сказал: «Поехали!» / и запил водой.” (He said Let’s Go! and drank a glass of water.)

4 Likes

Important need to know fact: Does the cup have a lid???

5 Likes

Putin ought to send Donald one of those tires as a goodwill gift. We all know how much Trump likes Russian pee.

6 Likes

Or, more likely, it’s their canine heritage.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Peeing where Yuri Gagarin did before his first flight definitely sounds like a better tradition than peeing where Alan Shepard did before his.

11 Likes

Notice the “P” in “CCCP”. Proves the point.

3 Likes

Another tradition (since the early 1970ies) is watching this film pre-flight:

5 Likes

Now you’ve opened up the whole complicated question of trans people, now the space program will be set back by 10 years of lawyers arguing.

1 Like

Its a good film. A Russian Ostern (Eastern). A “Western” type story taking place in the wilds of Central Asia.

I recommend it to anyone who is interested in how other countries do action films.

4 Likes

Yup. Fun to watch.

1 Like

imagehttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51z6qw2HP2L.SX340_BO1,204,203,200.jpg

A very interesting read. He goes into his experiences launching and working with the Russians, as well as what living in space is like.

2 Likes

Well it’s all very well telling Yuri that NOW. Where were you before he got on the bus?

7 Likes

Jellyfish?

1 Like