Not really, no. The main thing is community flags.
If you want to keep the city clean, you can hire 500 garbagemen, or you can put a trash can on every street corner.
We do try to do some Just in Time reminders in the cases of
- replying to a very old topic
- first time ever replying, reminder that there are human beings on the other side of the screen
- replying to the same topic over and over
- replying to the same user over and over*
- quoting the same post over and over*
I still want to go back to the classics: the number of times you’ve replied in a topic (or replied to a particular post, or replied to a particular person) should not be a badge of honor. It usually means There Were Problems.
Looking at http://bbs.boingboing.net/top/quarterly and picking the one with the most replies (255)
There is a lot to be said for “one (or three) and done”, when You Are Mad About Something on the Internet:
That said I understand different issues are important to different people and often the discussion can be illuminating, if people play by the rules and are participating in good faith, i.e. they are willing to evolve their position over time rather than having it be immutable and written in stone.
* not implemented yet but probably should be