Why do the Carters look tiny compared to the Bidens in this photo?

Photo taken by Hype Williams.
12h0 (1)

4 Likes

If you look at President Carter’s lower legs they are in scale with President Biden’s. It’s the difference between Mrs. Biden and President Carter that seem dramatic to me. The whole photo has a stage-set vibe that’s odd. I’ve never liked either wide-angle lenses, or telephoto lenses for this very reason.

8 Likes

I’m sure the photographer would have preferred better conditions for the shot too but “small room + nonagenarians that no one wanted to impose on by moving their furniture around” didn’t leave a lot of options if they wanted to get all four figures in the same frame.

2 Likes

Well, not with using the PS lens correction filter on the posted image at least. The photographer probably did use post processing to fix the wide angle barrel distortion (which would also straighten many curved lines) but it left the scale distortion.

Correcting the scale using Lens Correction left the Bidens squished to the outside of the frame. Which is probably closer to what the original photo looked like.

Using the Transform-warp tool to bring back in the rounded sides helps a lot but still leaves plenty of skewed lines in the image from my quick and dirty attempt.

and Joe Biden is a lot thinner than that original photo.

16 Likes

Yeah there’s really no way to remove all the distortion from a photo taken in those conditions, the only question is how the image is going to be distorted.

6 Likes

i dunno, they ALL look like giants to me.

7 Likes

All true but that is not what happened here. The people are arranged in a semicircle where everyone is within inches of equidistant from the camera so nobody is closer to the camera. If they were seated in a line then the Carters would actually be closer to the camera and appear bigger. So no wide angle distortion is not the cause. That would have made the Carters appear bigger if anything.

Barrel distortion is fixable in the edit but the straight lines on the picture frames indicate that is not an issue here.

The distortion from the camera being closer with a wide angle lense is not fixable because it is already correct in the sense that it is exactly what a person would see standing at the camera.

Now composition is an issue, and moving everyone together would have eliminated the need for a wide angle lense.

My take: the Carters are just smaller.

This (from Twitter) is probably about as good as anybody can get in terms of “correcting” the photo

photo

The main problem is the Bidens are just closer to the camera than the Carters are, no way to fix that

2 Likes

It appears I’m now in a photography forum. I just looked at the content and thought it was a nice photo. A couple freinds shared the photo and felt the need to point out they weren’t wearing masks. For the life of me I don’t know what their point was. Everyone in the photo is fully vaccinated, so what?

I’m guessing it was adjusted in Photoshop - a wide angle lens has a ton of distortion and probably bent Potus and Flotus, so the image was straightened out and had the barrel distortion removed. And that’s why they are huge.

They know why, but they’re not telling.

3 Likes

I wonder if the photographer is thinking that people are making too much of the photo (as the photo makes too much of Jimmy’s shoes.)

1 Like

6 Likes

Agent: “Okay, fine. A standroom then.”

Comedy Central Reaction GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

5 Likes

The Carters look more like ventriloquist dummies than real humans in that picture.

1 Like

Courtesy dictates that a reasonable, legitimate question be answered or entertained in some like-minded way, even when used as a topic title.

1 Like

I have no real photography experience, but have decided that I am now available for hire.

4 Likes

Joe and Jill Biden are 7’10" and 6’8" respectively. I thought this was common knowledge?

He was a backup shooting guard for the 1970-71 Baltimore Bullets, usually spelling Earl “The Pearl” Monroe late in the game. Then his Senate campaign took off, and they released him the next year. I know that sounds ridiculous, but remember, this was back before the “big man” school of thought on offense really took over. So even though he had three inches on Manute Bol, he still took most of his shots from 10-12 feet out.

3 Likes