Why does Daria means so much to millennials?

Originally published at: Why does Daria means so much to millennials? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

And once again, Gen X is written out of it’s own history…

33 Likes

This. The character is an avatar of Gen X, but in the end we’re just a demographic blip like the Silents (who were the real leaders of the 1960s civil rights and counter-culture).

20 Likes

Most people think we don’t even exist, like the boomers are just extended forward and the millennials back.

14 Likes

I think it’s silly when people or articles boldly claim things about a certain generation. Like anyone else would be unable to appreciate or dislike something as well. I think its better to say that people who disdain popular conventions have a particular affinity for Daria’s view of the world and humor.

11 Likes

Um… whut?

Daria was of my generation, yo. So much so that I own the box set of the series.

It ran from 1997 - 2002, meaning it featured teenagers who would have been born around 1982; characters who were so jaded and cynical at such a young age is totally the hallmark of Gen X.

That you personally enjoyed it as a kid is great, but that doesn’t mean that it was meant for y’all.

Also while we’re talking, WHERE is that Jody spinoff that was supposed to be happening?

15 Likes

Because it is a small blip, Gen X gets hit hard economically. Not enough to make a difference economically or politically, hence the over looked generation.

2 Likes

When Douglas Coupland released Generation X in 1991, the cutoff to be Gex X was somewhere around those born before 1975. The ten year old kids born in 1981 were considered to be too young to be part of Gen X and were called Gen Y. But then at some point the labels changed; Gen Y became Millennials and the birth years shifted.

People born 1975 to 1982 are the micro Gen X of the Gen X. Told that they didn’t belong to one generation, then told that they didn’t belong to the younger generation, and get lumped back into the generation that didn’t want them.

3 Likes

Teenage media tend to be targeted at pre-teens. Look at Archie comics. Archie and his pals were teenagers in the early 1960s, so they were born during World War II or right after that. They weren’t really baby boomers, just on the front edge.

I loved Daria and her friend, Jane Lane: “I like having low self esteem. It makes me feel special.”

2 Likes

Wow. I had no idea it ran that long. I started watching not long after it came out, and loved it, but only followed it for a little while. Maybe I need to track down the entire series.

Yeah, this is me. I’ve been shuffled from one generation to another for years. There was that brief period where they called us Xennials, which is just kind of an awful word.

10 Likes

I’m just sick of my entire life experiences being dismissed as unimportant. I exist and I matter.

sexy the walking dead GIF

Cause it’s bullshit. Douglas Coupland doesn’t get to define shit for everyone else.

9 Likes

Generations are just manufactured constructs* created to divide people even further and to market shit to us.

Be that as it may, the existing labels are already in place, and they aren’t exactly binding or written in stone… no matter what some privileged cis-het White dude who thinks he knows everything says.

Have a nice day and bless your pedantic heart.

Indeed, it did.

*Also known as bullshit

12 Likes

And to do so lazily. Demographic segmentation is what marketers do when they don’t actually care.

13 Likes

9 Likes

I have no clue which demographic I’m in (it varies depending on which source I consult), but I LOVED Daria. Biting sarcasm and social commentary are ageless.

10 Likes

Dude was shit in The Police and I haven’t listened to a word he said since.

9 Likes

But seriously, I also loved it. (Clearly.)

From animation to writing, it was just a really well done show.

It’s often hard to believe that Daria started off as a spin-off of Beavis and Butthead

10 Likes

I thought part of that was Generation Jones.

7 Likes

whaaat GIF
Whaaaaa? That is crazy. Off to the rabbit hole.

13 Likes

Pop Tv Yes GIF by Schitt's Creek

12 Likes