Why don’t house cats roar?

Something about being so fast.

4 Likes

When our flame-point wants someone (another kitteh) to come play with her she says “ma, ma, maaawww”

Our seal-point wants someone to come play with him, he belts out something that sounds dang close to a roar, but it’s too complicated a sound for me to commit to puny human letters.

9 Likes

It’s about choices…

1 Like

I have an mmm-gow cat too, but when he yawns while doing it you can definitely hear more vowels instead. Then it’s more of a mea-a-a-gaow sound. Another one has developed quite the resonant yeaowl. Third cat barely mews and mauws and only when he thinks no one is around.

3 Likes

I was reading in CT law last week that it forbids keeping of cheetahs in favor of “domesticated cats” - despite the fact that cheetahs are among the very easiest cats to domesticate. It makes precious little sense.

1 Like

:smirk:  

1 Like

You ever tried to keep a cheetah? They will break your haaht.

8 Likes

Sounds uncannily like something one of my MA relatives would say!

3 Likes

All the best MA canneries shut down yeeahs ago. Wicked long time ago bruthah.

2 Likes

My cat often says marow, often rolling the r like in spanish. Sometimes shortens it just to row, also rolled.

5 Likes

What does the fox say?

2 Likes

The group that did the roar video have a video answering that question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuw6YBn6pnk

2 Likes

Our cats have quite the variety of vocalizations, from the low, moaning “mrooooooooowwww” of despair while receiving a bath, to the screeching “raaaaaaaaammmooorrow” of “The food bucket is almost empty. WE ARE GOING TO STARVE!” The sleepy “mew”, the meow like an old rotary phone “mmrrang,” the weird chirp-mrow of chasing toys, and my favorite, the breathy-vibrating meow given while purring loudly.

4 Likes

I was waiting for that…

2 Likes

Obligatory:

7 Likes

pfft. maybe yours don’t…

5 Likes

I had a cat adopt me. I was leaving for work and this little thing was waiting outside, and wlked right in, took herself a tour and then sat down and looked up at me. I asked her what her name was and she said “µ” .

So µ it was.

3 Likes

Where cheetahs and relative comparisons are concerned… I, personally speaking, would defer to CT law.

:slight_smile:

The Connecticut law is no doubt fallout from Bringing Up Baby. You can’t expect legislatures to differentiate among types of big cats.

2 Likes

A lobbyist would say, “Sure you can.”

:wink: