Why has this NYC apartment in a prime location been filled with 140 tons of dirt for forty years?

Originally published at: Why has this NYC apartment in a prime location been filled with 140 tons of dirt for forty years? | Boing Boing

8 Likes

It’s a dirty job, but someone’s got to do it.

Sorry. I’ll see myself out.

23 Likes

Some of us prefer to rest in a lot of our native soil.

15 Likes

Art? Yeah, right.

I’m not saying it’s vampires, but… It’s vampires.

31 Likes

I suspect the entire thing is an elaborate advertising campaign for https://alexstreeter.com/.

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s a guideline for how locally sourced that soil has to be for a vampire to get a good night’s day’s sleep? Does it have to come from the grounds of Castle Dracula itself, or would any dirt from the historical geopolitical boundaries of the Principality of Transylvania do in a pinch?

17 Likes

Probably something like the soil from the place you were turned, or born.

5 Likes

I’m just trying to get a bead on how close you need to dig in case I ever get conscripted into the service of a vampire.

Minion: A fresh crate of dirt from the homeland, m’lord.

Vampire: Bleh! This smells like it vas taken from a garden at least three blocks avay from my maternity vard! No vay I’m sleeping in that!

16 Likes

New York Earth Room is estimated to be worth at least a million dollars, which sounds like a lot, but is actually modest compared to the price of the space it takes up.

Over time, capitalism has written a whole new manifesto for this piece of art.

16 Likes

140 tons of soil in a 2nd floor loft… has that building been inspected lately? That seems like an awful lot of load on that floor.

21 Likes

If you ask me; it is mulch-a-do about nothing.

17 Likes

IIRC, according to Bram Stoker a crate of Transylvanian soil is good enough, but Dracula had several crates spread all across areas of a city he was planning for a hunting ground, in case someone despoiled crates in a particular location. However, Van Helsing proved that it is an easy task to corrupt make this earth inhabitable with a handful of crumbled communion hosts.

13 Likes

Oh, you found my 140 tons of dirt. Thanks.

9 Likes

I have so many questions about money. the value of that building, or the rent, has to be astronomical. Does this man have another job? Is he rich from a previous job? Does the cost of access to see the dirt pay for things?

2 Likes

I can imagine. Ever try sleeping in a bed full of cracker crumbs?

14 Likes

Or the butler coming in to rake your soil during your slumber…

7 Likes

You can get a pretty nice “indoor dirt” kit for about $30. And I mean, If you’re not putting hand painted unicorns, an LED light strip, plastic gems and wheatgrass seeds in you “indoor soil” is it really even art?

7 Likes

Igor has acquired people skills.

I’m sure real estate agents are soiling themselves over it.

13 Likes

hope he was careful, otherwise inevitably the dirt will end up in the basement.

7 Likes