Why has this NYC apartment in a prime location been filled with 140 tons of dirt for forty years?

I adore the fact that so many of our brains went straight to Dracula. And I think it was just specified to be soil from his homeland.

5 Likes

Treating a scarce resource with contempt? Privilege, obvs. Let me guess, instead of this being an empty, douchebag gesture, they arranged for at least some homeless New Yorkers to be housed. They did, didn’t they?

And they periodically water it? Is the whole thing waterproofed? When was the last time the bottom was inspected? Everyone in that building could be in danger of illness from mold. My dad wrote repair estimates for fire/water damage for most of his career, I can’t imagine what he’d think of this. (His last job was Katrina damage - they didn’t get in til 6 weeks after, you can imagine what the mold situation was).

6 Likes

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

I helped my sister demolish an old shed when she moved in to a house. The roof was “waterproofed” with around 20 layers of carpet; though, I think it was the trillions of fungal spores that gave the roof its thermal insulation.

6 Likes

So the dirt alone is worth $1 million? By what measure? What other dirt installation recently sold that they can compare it with?

Well, soil is basically mostly stone right? So this is effectively a sculpture.

(I did just try and find out how much it would cost to buy topsoil in New York, but no one seems to post their prices, you have to ring for a quote)

2 Likes

By the measure of what the art market thinks it’s worth. This is now a story about capitalism as it pertains to both real estate and collectibles (in this case the two are particularly intertwined).

1 Like

If I have learned anything at BoingBoing its that the art market is just money laundering for the ultra rich so those numbers don’t really mean anything.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.