Why Hillary Clinton's DNC speech was 'a moon landing' for women

Of course not, but neither was England until 1801.

4 Likes

Nope. And even then Ireland was never fully conquered by the Romans. I got thoroughly schooled in this when I asked an Irish acquaintance of mine: Aren’t the Irish British? :confused:

4 Likes

Then my point stands in including her with other female rulers of antiquity.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve always liked Mark Twain’s description of Arthurian Britain as a place where you needed a passport to lie down. And given recent events it may be going back to that.

4 Likes

FFS, they still use that?!?

It might feel like a moon landing if she swears her oath of office and refuses that bible.

5 Likes

I never liked her, and in fact if my state is really close in the polls I will call uncle and vote for her. No insensitivity intended in regards to a woman leader, I just personally wish it wasn’t this particular woman. Elizabeth Warren would have been much more agreeable.

12 Likes

If you more accurately want to portray that theft of the primaries as a trip into space, I would suggest it is more of a Uranus landing, good luck with that :wink: .

She’s always been a Methodist, so I imagine she’ll swear on a bible.

1 Like

In fact, it seems like racism got a lot . . . frothier after Obama was elected (from my admittedly somewhat sheltered perspective, though I’ve cultivated much better sources of information in the past eight years). So I wonder if there will be a similar effect with sexism, if (fingers crossed) she is elected. Yay?

16 Likes

I generally keep from making political posts on my Facebook, but this official nomination is major, and more than just politics, so I made an exception. And I figure my thought on it was worth sharing here, too, so here 'tis:

Congratulations to Ms. Clinton, for blazing a trail for women. You don’t have to agree with her to acknowledge that. She’s tough as nails and worked her ass off. Because that was the only way for her to get there. If she wins the presidency, it won’t be because she’s a woman; it will be in spite of it. Can you imagine if Donald Trump were a woman, trying to run like he is on no political experience, treating other people like he does?

The cause for equality gets to take a victory lap today. Then tomorrow it has to get back to work, because that job isn’t done. And I’m not even talking about the election now. But remember how electing Obama magically ended racism in America? Oh, wait, it didn’t. A presidency for Clinton won’t conquer misogyny, either. Ultimately this nomination doesn’t so much shatter the glass ceiling as punch a nice hole in it. Some more women can get through that opening, but it needs to be widened. But today: huzzah.

11 Likes

I gotta admit, ever since Obama clinched the nomination in 2008, I’ve been afraid that Chris Rock’s vision (from Head of State in 2003) of the first black president being gunned down at his inauguration might come horrifically true. I am very pleasantly surprised (and yet horrified that it’s a surprise) than Obama is still in excellent health.

I dunno, but if I had to hazard a largely uninformed guess, my gut tells me that we’ll do better on the sexism front in the next four years than we’ve done on the racism front in the last eight.

But I do have quite a Pollyanna streak in me. Still, I’m hopeful.

8 Likes

Fully conquered? My understanding is that the Romans never bothered with trying to conquer Ireland at all. The quick history guide for the future:

England: The part of Great Britain which was conquered by the Romans and which lost its Celtic identity.
Wales: The part of Great Britain conquered by the Romans which retained its Celtic identity.
Scotland: The part of Great Britain held by the Celts during Roman occupation, specifically by the Picts. They were later ousted by the Scots, an Irish tribe.
These three form Great Britain, which is the single, big island.

Ireland: The part of the British Isles which is a separate island from Britain, had minimal Roman influence.
Northern Ireland: The portion of Ireland which is primarily protestant and stayed within the United Kingdom (that is, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and (Northern) Ireland when Ireland (The Republic of Ireland) seceded after World War 1).
The British Isles consist of Great Britain, Ireland, and the traditionally English-dominated islands of the Channel and the North Sea: Orkneys, Shetlands, Jersey, the Isle of Man, Guernsey, etc.)

Really quick version: Great Britain: the island England is on. British Isles: Great Britain, Ireland, various other islands near Great Britain. United Kingdom: all of the British Isles plus the UK Overseas Territories, sans the Republic of Ireland.

1 Like

I really doubt it. For all that he’s endured, I think Obama has had it easy compared to what Clinton will (continue) to get.

I have a NI friend who likes to call Ireland Lesser Britain. But he’s also a very vocal atheist who’s happy to talk loudly about the troubles and religion. I think he just likes to provoke people.

10 Likes

Well, I hope you’re wrong. I think you might be if only because hating Hillary for 25 years only to have her get elected President must have been exhausting. It’s hard to imagine them doing anything more to her than just being the same obstreperous, obstructionist know-nothings who’ve blocked Obama’s every progressive move.

5 Likes

She’d better get elected!

But yeah, I hope we don’t get some sort of descent into sexism because we have a female president. I know SOME people will, and FOX will do everything they can to rile us up …

…crap.

What they should have done is take a page out of the Conservative’s book and beat the opposition to the punch (twice!). I’d expect the Cons will pick someone like Sajid Javid as leader before Labour pick, say, Chuka Umunna. As mentioned elsewhere, they should have got Condoleezza Rice nominated for President years ago.

Even if she wanted to run, that would have been one hell of a contentious primary. Maybe even more so than this one was.

So, assuming she wins, what barrier gets broken next? Atheist president? crosses fingers

7 Likes

The imperfect and inexpert impression I get is that the closest analogy to modern global politics would be hegemony. But since were talking about pre-Arthurian history on the edge of the part of the world that wrote history down, a lot of it’s going to be left to be studied through surviving Roman texts, which are bound to represent a skewed perspective.[quote=“tekk, post:58, topic:82371”]
Really quick version: Great Britain: the island England is on. British Isles: Great Britain, Ireland, various other islands near Great Britain.
[/quote]
I gather that a lot of the contentiousness comes from national identities. The English government might consider Ireland part of the British Isles. But many Irish might justifiably resent a nomenclature derived from the Roman name for the Isles being applied to them, who retained their independence from the Empire.

Publicly atheist, you mean? (I dunno, I’m inclined to believe Nixon wasn’t devout.)

But yeah, it’d be great to cross that particular bridge someday soon.

1 Like