Why humans are so enchanted with cats

Or a simpler answer is that smaller creatures with big eyes gets the “oh so cute” response which is the same we get with babies? I know everyone wants to think we got a version of nematodes converting us into cat slaves (I mean the attendants of the Purrsian Empire, meow!) but the fact is that the parasite’s life cycle makes is poor targets since it’s seems it depends on there being a prey species as a go between. BTW, most of the Toxoplasmosis we get is from pork (scary).

5 Likes

homer

8 Likes

They’ll be along shorty.

9 Likes

I’m not even a vegan and I love bacon but the fact that parasites can worm their way into my innards to really mess me up is too scary (*begins to subsist on Soylent*). >_>

4 Likes

Yeah, that is icky. Still hoping the Tapeworm Diet never makes a comeback.

2 Likes

You say parasite, I say symbiote. :grinning:

16 Likes

Let’s call the whole thing off. :nauseated_face:

11 Likes

10 Likes

Someone 'shopped out their basketball.

8 Likes

That just means that cats control the pigs too. This is how they reach cat-allergic people. I don’t know what the pigs get from this any more than the cat fleas. We are just beginning to unravel these connections. Cats have been at this for years.

8 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new Kzin overlords.

Just call me fixer of computers.

12 Likes

Dad?

8 Likes

There have been studies done on this but obviously there verdict is still out on that. However from what i recalled reading there’s a correlation between people infected with Toxo and them having a higher likelihood to make decisions with higher risk because of the reduced response to fear. Some of the examples brought up were people who did more extreme sports, rock climbing, etc. or people finding themselves in bad situations because of the higher likelihood to take risk. I’m not sure i believe this 100%, there’s likely a spectrum of behavioral changes if any do occur.

5 Likes

I have a friend that lurvz the kittehs soooooo much, but is mighty allergic. Yet, if he comes to visit my house, he takes allergy pills ahead of time and insists of being allowed to pet the kittehs. As long as he immediately washes his hands afterwards, he’s fine and got his kitteh fix for a while.

11 Likes

The history of dog domestication isn’t really that different. Here is a still from a recent documentary:

16 Likes

We have four cats in our household of two humans.

'Nuff said.

12 Likes

8 Likes

:slight_smile:

Reminds me of this scene from Dune: Periodically having to “milk” the “smooth cat body” to extract an antidote.

3 Likes

It’s like having a nice comfy pillow that periodically turns into a cactus with no warning.

11 Likes

They already outnumber you. It’s too late to help you.

5 Likes